push button ignition

-

no1newb

Reaction score
I just bought a remote control switch, and i was going to hook it up to the solonoid, so i would get rid or move the ignition switch to a different place, but i was going to make it so the solenoid would be controlled by a key fob and i would put a push button where the ignition switch would be.

any thoughts?

here is what i bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...iewitem=&sspagename=rvireg:1:1&category=50586

i guess no one is interested. i will still post pics and report back when i finish, i should get it done over the weekend or before. depending on the weather.

I'm interested. Should be neat when its finished. Let us know if it works well, I might pick one up myself.

Keep in mind that if you are running a stock type ignition with a ballast resistor, that you will need to find a way to by-pass the ballast when the starter was actuated.

can i not just wire my own ignition switch?. i may not have the right idea in my head, but on the ignition switch, one is constant power, and either ign1 and ign2 are the solenoid and the starter right? i was going to look at a wiring diagram first to know for sure, but i guess my ignorance to the ignition system in general may be a major downfall.

i may also not mean solenoid, i may be getting a little confused with the wording. i still have less than a year of knowledge

If you just want push button ignition, you don't need any kind of RF / wireless transponder setup, you just need a button in the dash. Were you going to try to use that thing for like a remote start?

no, i wanted to use the remote as the key kinda, it would put the car to the on position. but i would hid the ignition switch under the dash as a backup if that failed for any reason. but i also was thinkin about makin the starter a remote thing too later if i wanted to be able to remote start it.

i originally thought about it to use like one of those magnetic things where it does it when you get in the car, but that would be a lot more expensive and i think it would kill my battery faster than one of the cars that has that type of thing from the factory

Looking into a rf key (the thing that knows when you get in the car). A short range setup where you have to swipe the tag is around $60. One strong enough to "see" you anywhere in the car is like an extra $100. So you want some kind of security for turning the car on, then just a pushbutton to start it... Got it :)

one question though. it is a 12v switch, but when the car runs, it charges at 15, would that effect anything? im guessing i sould put it through a fuse, or have one of the inline fuse holders or whatever.

just got the remote setup, all i need is to find a button...TO RADIOSHACK. ill take pictures of the setup when im done. again, probobly wont get it done today, and the instructions said 12~15v so i should be fine

If it's rated for 12V use, it's going to have some margin of safety built in and 13.8 or whatever should be fine. If you're pulling the power for the switch from a circuit that already has a fuse, then you don't need one.

ok, it workd. the right after i set it up, then right when i got the dash back in and put some stuff away, i switch it on, and press the button, and when the button got pressed, it turned the starter like it should, but it kicked the switch off. i did it really sloppily, so i will fix it up tomorrow, take some pictures, and let you know tomorrow.

-
Back