Push Button Shift Cable Conversion?

-

doc540

Reaction score
Before I reinvent the wheel.....

re: 1961 Dodge Lancer
Separate parking lever and cable (which works fine)

Has anyone here ever fabricated or does anyone here have a link to fabricating/converting an A Body, push button trans shift cable to an aftermarket shifter like a Hurst Pro-MaticII or any other floor mount shift unit?

In other words, what other options are there for shifting an A Body, A-904 transmission without using the push button unit?

Very much appreciated.

I'm at the end of my rope (cable). :banghead:

What year? Does it use the Park Lever?

I'll edit my original post, thanks

1961 with separate park lever and cable.

I just talked to Kyle Madsen at customcontrolcabes.com, and he's asking for pictures of both end. They might be able to fab a cable to work with an aftermarket unit.

But I don't know yet if it can be done and at what expense.

If anyone else knows a fix, that would be great.

I know in the past companies like Hurst and B&M offered shifters for push button transmissions. I seen the ads in old magazines. They are out there. I don't think a cable by itself would work. The distance a shifter moves the cable would be too much for a push button trans. If you could reduce the distance by moving the cable closer to the pivot on a ratchet shifter it might work. You would need to measure the travel needed and modify accordingly. Now as to park??? Maybe you could find one of the old shifters. Good luck!

I know in the past companies like Hurst and B&M offered shifters for push button transmissions. I seen the ads in old magazines. They are out there. I don't think a cable by itself would work. The distance a shifter moves the cable would be too much for a push button trans. If you could reduce the distance by moving the cable closer to the pivot on a ratchet shifter it might work. You would need to measure the travel needed and modify accordingly. Now as to park??? Maybe you could find one of the old shifters. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for an old model shifter.

By the way,I have a push button trans that uses an aftermarket shifter. Its a 65 tf built by Art Carr in the early 70s. The adjusting wheel is still there but is blocked off. The throttle pressure lever is now the shift lever. Its reverse manual valve bodied. Its probable not what you want. But it is one way they converted them. And it still works great and all I have ever done is adjust the bands and change the fluid and filter.

i had a 1965 chrysler 300 L. 727. tthat was cable going into the trans. and changed to lever shifter at to the console. these parts might work for you.

65 had a one year only floor shifter for the auto with the cable controlled transes.

I'm not sure if there are any differences in the 64 to 65 transmissions or if they are compatible and the shifter will just bolt up and go if you find an original 65 floor shifter.

Thanks, but I'm looking to convert a '61 A904 pushbutton to a remote/aftermarket shifter.

Anyone ever done it or have an links?

thnx

Here are your options there are not many.

1) you could put a floor shifter in, but it would only be a shift selector. Reverse, Drive, one, two. You would still need to have a parking lever, somewhere but this can be done.

2) this is easier, put a 66 and later transmission and use and shifter you want.

3) if you went with a 66 and later trans, imperial services makes an adapter that you could use a period correct console shifter with a single shift cable.

So you can go backwards with a late trans and stock shifter, but you can't go early trans with a modern shifter (easily)

Hope this helps

Here are your options there are not many.

1) you could put a floor shifter in, but it would only be a shift selector. Reverse, Drive, one, two. You would still need to have a parking lever, somewhere but this can be done.

2) this is easier, put a 66 and later transmission and use and shifter you want.

3) if you went with a 66 and later trans, imperial services makes an adapter that you could use a period correct console shifter with a single shift cable.

So you can go backwards with a late trans and stock shifter, but you can't go early trans with a modern shifter (easily)

Hope this helps

VERY helpful, thanks

Regarding option #1: Shift only w/o Park would work fine (original Park lever and cable still work ok), so if I went this route I'm guessing I would have to have a custom cable fabricated since the input into the A904 is a different attachment system than an external lever system.

Am I thinking right on that?

For instance, since originality isn't necessary, I could mount an aftermarket console shifter with a custom length/trans-end attachment cable to the original A904 (which shifts like a champ).

Thanks again for the input, no pun intended. :coffee2:

You could. If I where you I would put in a center console from anything 65 and earlier. It will work for both park and selector. Just get the shorter cables from Imperial Services and be good to go.

Did your model come with a console option? If so that's what I would use.

You could. If I where you I would put in a center console from anything 65 and earlier. It will work for both park and selector. Just get the shorter cables from Imperial Services and be good to go.

Did your model come with a console option? If so that's what I would use.

The '61 Lancer didn't have a center console option.

Pardon my ignorance, but if I install a console from '65 or earlier, would Imperial Services have a shorter cable with the correct tip that attaches inside the A904 transmission case?

My transmission doesn't have external linkage attachments.

Thanks again, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I can't answer about the cable, but if you decide to go with a shifter and console, the 65 A body is the one to use. I don't believe earlier A bodies ever used a automatic floor shifter with console. If you need a 65 unit, I have a shifter and console available.

Heck that's easy then like the other guy said use a 65 console. A lancer is an A body it will weld right in. Heck I can get you some floor pictures of the mounts and holes

Yes imperial services will make any size cables you want.

So now you will have a push button on the dash board. That does nothing. You could find a panel out of a manual shift car and then no one would know it was push button but you.

Post some pictures of your dash board.

I love my pushbuttons and would not give them up for the world. But as other respondents suggested, finding an older, aftermarket push button shifter is very difficult. The best solution, as others have stated, is to use the 64.5/65 "A" body floor shifter with the shortened cables from Imperial Services if the shifter you buy doesn't have them. but try to get them with the shifter as the cables from Imperial Services can be pricey. Other cable shifters will work, like a "C" body console one or an early dodge truck dash mounted one but they are shifter only, whereas the "A" body shifter/console assembly will easily fit in your car.

I tried getting a cable from Imperial Services earlier this year and finally gave up after 3 months of waiting. If there still making cables there not easy to get.

I tried getting a cable from Imperial Services earlier this year and finally gave up after 3 months of waiting. If there still making cables there not easy to get.

Are you looking for the Imperial floor shift cable used with the 65 floor shifteror the column shift cable. You realize that an internal mod is done to the valve body. I have both style of cables and the modified valve body still installed in my 904 (never installed in my 65 GT).

I'm good thanks, I had gone to a newer 904 to get rid of two cable set up. Imperial made a cable where I could still use my stock floor shifter with newer tranny. I went a different route & didn't need there cable. thanks

I'm just manually operating the cable with a pair of small, needle nose vice grips, so I can drive the car.

After I get it safe and dependable for the road, I'll address the shift issue.

Thanks for all the info.

-
Back