push button swap to b&m auto shifter?

-

694dscdart

Reaction score
Hi guys... i just purchased a 69 4dr dart with a 225 and push button auto and i was wondering if anyone has any info on possibly swapping a rigged up push button setup to a b&m mega shifter? any ideas?

to clarify, i dont think the dart was supposed to have a push button setup... i believe it was swapped in at some point and was just curious about it... id like to change it because it looks horrible

i was wondering what was up with that. 64 was the last year for the pushbutton setup. i dont have the answer for your question though. sorry.

The real question is which tranny you actually have in the car. If your car still has the 66 and later style trans but with a push button shifter rigged to it then you have no problem. Just trash the rigged push button mechanism and use your hurst shifter since it was made for the late style tranny. If your 69 dart actually has a 60-65 push button tranny installed your hurst shifter is practically useless. Hurst made a special shifter for the push button transmissions butt they are now pure unobtanium. Do you need additional help to correctly identify the trans that is installed in your car?

Well to be honest, im not sure what tranny is actually in the car. I just kinda assumed that it was a newer 66+ trans with the older push button rigged up to it, but now that im thinking about it, i dont know... so i suppose i could use some help to identify what tranny i have. any ideas? also, i havent purchased the b&m shifter i want to install yet as i havent quite figured out if it will work but the unit ive been lookinh at claims to be compatible with the 66+ style. thanx for any info you can give me about identifying the tranny. you guys are a big help.

The easiest way to tell if its a "push botton" transmission is to look at your front driveshaft yoke where it mates to the back of the trans. All late style 904's (non push button) used the slip yoke design. All the early "push button" tranny's used a (4) bolt flange to attach the ball and trunion u joint to it. Unlike 727's there was no transition year with a push button front half and a later style slip yoke back half. There are other differences also, but I highlighted this one because I thought it would be the easiest for you to identify given that I don't know your level of familiarity with mopars, tranny's and automotive in general. If the terms like slip yoke or ball and trunion aren't familiar you can get clear pics of each from a web search to compare to what you have. If you are unfortunate enough to have the "push button" trans in this vehicle and you wanted to go back to the correct late style trans you would also have to change/modify the driveshaft for the reasons mentioned above.

-
Back