-
Status
Not open for further replies.

74ChargerSE

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
My 64 A-body decided to puke the fluid and my mechanic says that it needs a seal and a good rebuild. If it is cheaper to replace the car's transmission (64 Barracuda, Slant 6/push-button), that would be an option to pursue. I looked on Car-Part.com and even got a few responses from the yards, but only Mopar people would know the difference between push-button vs normal shifters, and there is no guarantee that these yards speak "Mopar".

If anyone on this list has an extra push-button transmission for a Slant 6, 1964 A-body lying around that would fit my Barracuda without a rebuild, and is interested in clearing out the garage, please contact me ASAP.

Thanks, Larry in Ohio.

What vehicle is it out of? Where are you located? What are you asking for the transmission?

I will have to check the tailshaft (it was pulled by my mechanic).

As far as I know, the '65 and earlier slant 6 904's were all the same length and all had a bolt on rear flange for the driveshaft. Using a '65 model for the earlier years required some cable shift parts to be swapped....maybe the whole valve body....I can't remember exactly. It was because the cable movement was slightly different. IIRC, the early '60 uses a different converter, so, you'd have to include that in a swap and not use your old one. It's a good idea to use the converter that comes with the transmission anyway just in case the old converter has a problem or metal filings in it that might damage the new transmission.

All slant six cable shift transmission converters interchange. The problem occurs between 1967 and 1968 (not cable shift transmissions). A 1965 trans can be used with the PB shifter, by either swapping to the 64 valve body, or just swapping to the 64 manual valve and detent comb in the 65 valve body. I never checked the numbers for application, but I have a longer tail shaft cable shift transmission, with a output flange, in my stash. The 65 trans had a couple of different parts (from the 64) used, and must be aware of when rebuilding.
A FYI: the 65 and earlier 904 trans has a rear pump, and requires the use of a trans filter with two oil supply holes in the filter. Most filters listed for these transmissions list the filter used in the 66 and later trans. Using the late style filter with only one hole will cause problems.

In 1960 there is a before and after number for the converter and input shaft. Just include the converter if swapping between the early and late. The 904's are all the same length. If you have something longer, it's either a 727 or Powerflite.

In 1960 there is a before and after number for the converter and input shaft. Just include the converter if swapping between the early and late. The 904's are all the same length. If you have something longer, it's either a 727 or Powerflite.

20221016_200151.jpg

What is the transmission number on the long one? It should be stamped into the driver's side pan rail.

I will defer to you on the converter, as I don't have first hand knowledge of the 1960. As for the long tailshaft trans, it is a 904. Maybe a truck? There was never a cable shift 727 for the slant six.

The trans in that picture, looks like the one I have. The tail housing from main case to the seal area (not counting the flange) is 18 3/8 inches, and the " normal" 904's are 13 inches.
The numbers on mine are 1st numeral unreadable ( )466118W 1525690
EDIT: looks like that trans has a first digit of 2466118W. That translates to 1965 Dodge/Plymouth 225 except police /taxi. That would be a "full" size car.

Last edited:
The trans in that picture, looks like the one I have. The tail housing from main case to the seal area (not counting the flange) is 18 3/8 inches, and the " normal" 904's are 13 inches.
The numbers on mine are 1st numeral unreadable ( )466118W 1525690
That's a '65 B-body

I will defer to you on the converter, as I don't have first hand knowledge of the 1960. As for the long tailshaft trans, it is a 904. Maybe a truck? There was never a cable shift 727 for the slant six.
Sure there were. Early slant 6 trucks had them for one. So did the early B-body slant 6 taxis. Even the A100's had them although they used the lever shifter instead of a push button.

Sure there were. Early slant 6 trucks had them for one. So did the early B-body slant 6 taxis. Even the A100's had them although they used the lever shifter instead of a push button.
The early 727's behind the slant six were a V-8 transmission with a factory adapter plate. I don't remember for sure, but I think 1968 was the first year for a slant six case 727.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back