push rod help!!!

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I am trying to measure the pushrods to make sure they have enough load on them. I marked it with the rail torqued down, than again with the rail unbloted. This is on my 360LA . Its either .030" a little bigger, or a little less. So hard to get a mark.

they are stamped MPR-324 which are mellings. So i'm guessing the guy replaced them once before. The engine came with the Edelbrock performer RPM cam package. I have a Comp Cams Extreme 20-222-3 hyd. in their now.

Reason for me checking the pushrods is because i'm getting lifter tick . hold or cold. I have heard these series cams to develope a "sewing machine" effect and some tick is normal.

What should i do ?? Order some longer rods???

the problem is it could be .001 less or so.

what else could cause my valve-train noise???

Like said above, I have read that these lifters make noise and the way the cam is ground, it makes noise........ I just hate hearing it!

A thousandth of an inch won't make any difference. If all of the lifters are making the noise then it's likely the nature of the cam. If it's one or two then you could have a bad lifter even though it's new. If that's the case you could take the lifter apart and make sure it's clean inside.

The other thing to check is to make sure you don't have a rocker touching the spring retainer or a push rod hitting some casting flash in the head.

I have an XE268H that I get a fair amount of clatter at start-up but it quites down right away and then I get that noise that is described as a sewing machine all the time. Comp told me that was normal with the fast closing ramp on the extreme energy series of cams.

I will check for clearance issues but i'm 100% sure its all good.

I just don't know whats excesive amount of clatter or not. It happens when its cold or hot. Also around 2k the tick really comes to life.

Ok i put a dial indicator on using the valve cover hole for a mounting point. Put a zip-tie around the push rod and dialed it in. "IF" i did things correctly It read .015". Comp Cams suggest .020"-.040".... Is it ok to be .005" under????

-
Back