Pusher Fan Clearance

-

desmo900

Reaction score
Is anybody running a pusher fan on their 1967-1969 Dart? I am trying to figure out how much room there is between the grille and the front of the radiator. I would like to run a SPAL 16" Pusher. They have three different thickness, their thickest one pushes the most air. Can someone measure that space on their Dart for me? My grill is out getting rebuilt.

Thanks.

Is anybody running a pusher fan on their 1967-1969 Dart? I am trying to figure out how much room there is between the grille and the front of the radiator. I would like to run a SPAL 16" Pusher. They have three different thickness, their thickest one pushes the most air. Can someone measure that space on their Dart for me? My grill is out getting rebuilt.

Thanks.
I pushed my front 15" elec fan out as far as possible so not to restrict airflow. it`s set to come on at 195, so far the 17" mech fan hasn`t needed any help, altho I don`t have any real run time on it. I do have a new 16" chrome elec fan for sale if ur interested. not enough room for it in my car.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I just installed a Derale (DER16217) from summit. It fit on the front opening of the radiator support. I used the mounting hardware and bolted it to the rad support with a 1/16 clearance between the radiator and the fan. I had just brought a new radiator from Griffin with two 1 1/4" tubes and did not want to push those tie straps throw my radiator. I'm very happy with the way it work out. With this fan there are two speeds High and low. I brought two relay kits. The frist comes on at 180 Deg for the low speed and the second comes on at 190Deg for the high speed. mines a big block with no outlets on the water pump for the heater, so I have lots a outlets to install the temp sensors. I'll try to get pic's for you.Ron

I just installed a Derale (DER16217) from summit. It fit on the front opening of the radiator support. I used the mounting hardware and bolted it to the rad support with a 1/16 clearance between the radiator and the fan. I had just brought a new radiator from Griffin with two 1 1/4" tubes and did not want to push those tie straps throw my radiator. I'm very happy with the way it work out. With this fan there are two speeds High and low. I brought two relay kits. The frist comes on at 180 Deg for the low speed and the second comes on at 190Deg for the high speed. mines a big block with no outlets on the water pump for the heater, so I have lots a outlets to install the temp sensors. I'll try to get pic's for you.Ron
Thanks. What year is your car?

It's not the grill that is the problem, it's the support strut for the latch panel that's in the way.
On my 73 Dart there is 2.5 inches between that strut and the radiator.
On the Wife's 72 there is 3.75 inches.

Big help, right? :D

It's not the grill that is the problem, it's the support strut for the latch panel that's in the way.
On my 73 Dart there is 2.5 inches between that strut and the radiator.
On the Wife's 72 there is 3.75 inches.

Big help, right? :D
Roger.

I'm with TrailBeast. I installed a 16" SPAL (#301022047 - which outperforms Derale, IMO) and had to modify the latch support for motor clearance. The SPAL moves some serious air and you need to space any fan away from the radiator core slightly for it to work properly. Mine's spaced about 1/2".

painted%20modified%20brace.jpg
installed%20fan%20and%20painted%20brace.jpg

I'm with TrailBeast. I installed a 16" SPAL (#301022047 - which outperforms Derale, IMO) and had to modify the latch support for motor clearance. The SPAL moves some serious air and you need to space any fan away from the radiator core slightly for it to work properly. Mine's spaced about 1/2".

Thanks. Good information.

Been running my 17" S blade puller right up against the radiator core for 4 years now. :D
It's on foam pads and not plastic to fins contact.

Been running my 17" S blade puller right up against the radiator core for 4 years now.

Spacing applies to pusher fans - something to do with the blade distance to core affecting performance. It's been a few years since I researched it so I could be mistaken, but something about that stands out in my memory.

The corrected part number to what I posted should be 30102047 or SPA-02047

Note what this guys says about pushers: Faq | The-Fan-Man spal fan manufacturers, electric automotive cooling fans

Last edited:
-
Back