Pushrod Angle problems

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Anybody have any problems with roller lifter and the pushrod angle to Roller Rocker arms?
I've done this (roller setup) before in GMs and Fords and not had this problem, anybody got any ideas on this one

Pretty vague question. Can be more specific? Maybe pictures would help. I know depending on parts combinations, people have had to enlarge pushrod holes in heads. Is that where you're goin with this?

Pretty vague question. Can be more specific? Maybe pictures would help. I know depending on parts combinations, people have had to enlarge pushrod holes in heads. Is that where you're goin with this?
Been trying to upload the pictures for a while, but the site isn't uploading them.
As far as the angle goes, I know the roller lifter are longer then standard, so how do you correct this?(I'll get a picture posted as soon as I can)

Been trying to upload the pictures for a while, but the site isn't uploading them.
As far as the angle goes, I know the roller lifter are longer then standard, so how do you correct this?(I'll get a picture posted as soon as I can)

Custom length push rods?

Yeah, you gotta have costum length pushrods. I'm sure somebody probably has off the shelf ones by now as long as rollers have been out for small blocks.

Custom length push rods?
Using a pushrod tool to find the correct length and thats when we noticed the problem. We pulled the roller lifters out and put a standard lifter in, used a stock pushrod and no problems. The problem is the Roller lifters a lot longer/taller than a standard lifter. Because of the height of the roller lifter, its putting the pushrod on a weird angle.

Welcome to the world of roller small blocks...

Not uncommon to have to grind pushrod holes in the heads to get clearance. Especially bad if you go to a higher ratio arm on LA heads.

Welcome to the world of roller small blocks...

Not uncommon to have to grind pushrod holes in the heads to get clearance. Especially bad if you go to a higher ratio arm on LA heads.
Pro Mags, Roller Rockers using a ture 1.5 ratio.

Does the pushrod contact the outer bore of the lifter? If it's ok, that's the way it is and i'll work

Did you bush the lifter bores or install the 1/2 inch tube in the front and back of the lifter passages?

Didn't bush the lifter bores, Used Hughes Lifters so I wouldn't have to.

Typical SB Mopar pushrod angle issue. Nothing you can do except buy the correct length pushrods, or buy a 48 degree block.
The length is what we were trying to figure out. its the angle, I'll post a picture when the site will let me upload it.

Ok I was able to get this picture up. The push rod is lined up like it sure be (fully seated in the lifter) and rocker arms are in the correct place. You can clearly see there is a big problem here. Not sure how to fix this one.

Attachments

• Pushrod-03a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,490
All the pictures I have of it.
Even if I grind, the angle will still be screwed up.
I the picture you can see how much taller/longer the lifters are. If you look at the pushrod tool and lifter were they meet you can see end of the lifter.

Attachments

• Pushrod-00a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Pushrod-02a.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,290
  • Pushrod-04a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,314
yikes, thats pretty bad

Now im not looking forward to installing my hydraulic roller with hughes 1.6 shaft rockers

Does anybody know if this problem only occurs on the aftermarket roller lifters, or are the factory ones the same issue...this seems like a serious problem that even grinding might not fix

1970Duster as several of us mentioned earlier that's normal for a SB Mopar. All you can do is like Rob said and bust out the die grinder and carve out the pushrod holes so the pushrods doesn't rub the head and get the right length pushrods. We all go through that when we use a roller cam in a stock 59 degree block. There is no way you can get the pushrod straight in line with the lifter on a 59 degree block. It's a design problem you can't overcome.

The push rod should form a straight line between the lifter and rocker arm adjuster at 50% of total "VALVE LIFT" measured at the valve spring retainer. Rocker arm adjuster should have 1-2 threads showing at that point. Try that first and yes you will have a push rod angle when the cam is on the base circle and valve closed. If you're running a hydraulic roller you'll need to get an adjustable one (Hughes has them) and set the threaded adjuster inside the lifter at about .060" loaded or down from cir clip.

Simple fix... pull the hyd roller and put a flat tappet in it.

If you want to run the htd roller in a 59* SB with heads that weren't originally set up for the taller hyd roller, you need to grind the holes.

Here's what happens to the round PR holes on a set of Ede's on a SB with a hyd roller. the holes use to be smaller and round...

edeheadprhole.jpg

There have been many on this board, 340SFastback was one that had to deal with this same issue. It's not uncommon and has to due with the lifter height/cup height adn the crappy 59* moving the lifter PR cup point towards the exhaust side of your engine.

Anybody have any problems with roller lifter and the pushrod angle to Roller Rocker arms?
I've done this (roller setup) before in GMs and Fords and not had this problem, anybody got any ideas on this one

You will not fix it cause of the 59* lifter angle that the SB Mopar has as to Chevy,Ford with a 48* and lifters are closer together than spread far apart.

It looks to me like the valves are in too deep. That means the vavle tip is too tall. That forces the pushrod socket of the rocker to be lower and inside more than it should be. Could you try to take a clear picture of where the rocker contacts the valve stem?

Added pics... RPM heads, LA roller block and hyd cam w/stock lifters, Isky rockers.

Attachments

• 100_1893.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Pushrod-03a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,099
-
Back