Pushrod length

-

stroker416

Destroyer of Legend at C/S Speed LLC
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a mild 318. nothing fance. i've shaved my heads .010". can i just reuse my old pushrods? i dont really want to replace them. will this be an issue?

You should be fine, but, remember, they span accross several parts. Any changes from stock on any part, adds up to a total change. If you mill .010 from a head, plus run the thinner MP gaskets and lose another .020, and the block's decks were "cleaned up" during a rebuild another .010, your pushrods' effective length just grew by .040, which may not be ok. So you should be checking lifter preload to make sure it's ok before you stick the intake back on.

Also remember to realize the cylinder heads gasket thickness if you don't use a stock steel thin gasket. Fel-pros tend to be sold in a overly large bore and @ .039 thick rather than .020

I read this and get a sick feeling in my gut for some reason.
Not to take over a thread, but if the push rod is a bit too long, this would also hurt performance a bit too.. right? I'm thinking I need to check some things....

-RPM

Yes, performance will be hurt, as, you're bound to lose some lift. Shims are used to negate this. The real way, and expensive, would be to use a rocker train or pushrods, that are adjustable.

Too long can hurt by ruining lifters and cams..and holding valves open. But, a typical lifter has a lot of travel there. The point is to check. Then you dont have to panic...amazing what an hour does for the nerves...

LOL..well, I hear that happens when they are "overstimulated" by certain repeating events...

Remember, this is all because we LOVE to do it..and its JUST A HOBBY...lol.
In the voice of Homer Simpson... "Stupid hobbys.."

I use mechanical/adjustable rockers from a 273 and the pushrods in my 340 with no problems...

-
Back