Put my car in a car show yesterday... Was not as fun as I thought it would be

-
I had gone to a lot of car shows in the past but now I just go to a cruise spot on sunday morning have made a lot of good friends their. I found that at car shows the ones that don't have anything in the show are up-set because you do and they do so by putting someone else down they feel better and most kids act just like there parents so if a kid says something dad said it before because most kids can't tell what is there looking at they just want something that shines better than there friends car. I had a guy with a Hemi E-Body say my Hemi wasn't real because the factory didn't build so my response was yea but I can drive mine anytime I want and don't need a trailer to get any were I want to go. In the end I got the peoples vote and he got to strap his on his trailer and tow it home. Go to all the shows you want and meet like minded people and to hell with the rest.

You cant let someones opinion get you down. I have a 66 Dart in the making and it may take years to get it done. My kids and wife think its the ugliest thing in the world. My 70 year old dad thinks its cool! (Oh yea, he is one of those trophy whores) He is always saying how its going to be nice when done. Its the first Dodge I have owned in 35 Years. I know how you feel because I switch to the other side about 10 years ago and bought a really nice 25000 mile 74 corvette. It is cherry! I go to car shows and no one will even look at it because its a vette. Then I change motors, dress it up add cragars and tires, and still no one looks. SO I bought a 72 vette, totally restored it as a modified drive train and duplicated the same engine as in the 74. I can take both cars to a show, park them away from each other and people will say how nice the 72 is and that the 74 needs more done. If I go to a local show I never win an award and to be honest I really dont care, but I just won a celebrity choice award at the Carlisle Corvette weekend with over 3500 cars there. Its amazing how many people will talk about their car compared to the one they are looking at while the owner is within hearing range. I dont think they mean to be rude but they are just plain stupid. I look forward to completing my Dodge Dart, and seeing what that side of the world is like. Enjoy your shows but take comments with a grain of salt, if someone is looking at it and saying they will make theirs nicer it means they dont have one to show and you do and they may never finish theirs.
Rodney

I remember reading about the guy that took his rusty old stocker Volare to the shows. Parked right in with the best of them, and he got some trophies just for the fact that he was proud of his car. He comes to a show in my area, I'd shake his hand.

Tell the teeny bopper to do it to it. He'll talk less when he's worked (and paid) for it.

a lot of people at the shows (and cruise night) don't work on these cars or really know much about them, so don't be too hard on them.
..a little different when a seasoned gear head does stuff in bad taste.

My wife and I showed our cars at Frankenmuth's Autofest here in Michigan today with easily 2500 or more cars. Acutually our cars are still there overnight :shock: they said they would be fine with security. It feels like we left our kids with the sitter the first time. Anyway hers is not mopar but cool in my opinion anyway 67 Deville vert and my Formula S with a 416. We got so many people today with nothing but polite compliments and others with questions. It was a great day. Even during the down pour we let some of the others close by use our little pop up shelter and met some great people. Show is tomorrow as well and if happen to be there stop on by.

Picture below is a small show we attended last year. Wife's Caddy is behind my Barracuda

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 186
Don't let it bother you. Easy said, I know but you gotta remember that this was a young kid who honestly doesn't have a clue how much work and/or money it takes to bring these cars to life.
My car is a real POS but it is mine and I saved it from going from a dirt floor shed to the scrapper so I'm happy because I enjoy cars. All of them.
My car won't be in a show anytime soon because money comes to me slowly but my skills are good and I have a lot of patience so it may be some time before I am ready. And I love driving it so much, I can't leave it parked long enough to get anything done. Even then, I won't be there to win. Just enjoy the company. Dennis

a lot of valid points have been made. I agree that there are far more people eyeballing the Camaros, Chevelles, and Mustangs. I've never gotten any awards with my cars yet but I still like to go and check out the workmanship of ALL the other vehicles. There are always some idjits out there that don't have the common sense to respect another guy's ride. I'd hate to see you not take your car to other shows. Mopars are already so outnumbered. When you hear comments like that kid made just 'consider the source'. - and enjoy the show.

I don't put much stock in our local shows. The trophies always go to the same three big car clubs and they are almost always Chevys or Fords. Went to a recent car show that had about 300 cars. I only counted about 5 Mopars. One was a fully restored 70 Hemi Cuda with original 426. The other was an original stock 69 Road Runner with 383. Neither of those cars, both of which were beautiful, even got a top 50 plaque. There was also a drag race going on at the show and their were only two Mopars entered. And one of those two Hemis was blowing everybody away. I like to go see all of the different cars at the shows but I am happy to be pulling out in my Mopar when I leave.

I don't put much stock in our local shows. The trophies always go to the same three big car clubs and they are almost always Chevys or Fords. Went to a recent car show that had about 300 cars. I only counted about 5 Mopars. One was a fully restored 70 Hemi Cuda with original 426. The other was an original stock 69 Road Runner with 383. Neither of those cars, both of which were beautiful, even got a top 50 plaque. There was also a drag race going on at the show and their were only two Mopars entered. And one of those two Hemis was blowing everybody away. I like to go see all of the different cars at the shows but I am happy to be pulling out in my Mopar when I leave.

We call that a GOOD OLE BOY SHOW where only the promoters friends get awards. I hate shows that have new cars and old cars but don't separate the two never fails mustangs, corvettes every time with a few classics to mix it up!!!

There were 131 vehicles in the last show I attended. I know my ride isn't going to draw the attention that some others would. I go to see more than show anyway.
Funny to me was how the car beside me got so much attention and why... This was a black 66 or 67 Mustang. The girl had a big bright pink stripe painted down the side, pink accents all about its black interior and even the engine block was painted pink.
I don't want or need attention from the general public bad enough to do those sort of things to my car.
If you do, you're going to need something to draw attention. Loud paint, loud speakers, loud pipes, something.

I guess I do :D, loudest paint I could find and I run open cutouts all the time :thumblef: :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1349small800.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 176
He's a kid. Today very few know how to show respect and when to keep their thoughts to themselves.

BTW ....we can tell of our experiences with shows negative or positive ....but the bottom line is the O.P. has a beautiful Duster and that smart A$# disrespectful kid needs some glasses

Been there, done that! It used to tick me off that when parked next to a POS rusted out 73 Challenger that got more notice from kids than my pristine, fully restored GTX because the kids know what a Challenger is but never heard of a GTX (or even a Road Runner). Sometimes kids see the cartoon window clings of the Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote on my rear side windows and notice that, but could care less about the actual car

HOW THE HECK do you not notice a '68 GTX???!!!! Those are one of the sexiest cars to ever roll the streets!!! And a 70 roadrunner??? What's happening to my fellow youth of America???

Rant over. Lol

its scary to think that the youth following muscle cars is rapidly growing in countries like Saudi Arabia ....

Last time I was over there i was seeing better shows in the making than I have for a long time here in Colorado, there are now tens of thousands of American Muscle cars showing up there because the interest is there and those kids have more cash on a bad day than most Credit card clad Americans on a good day.

We living in the USA need to wake up and get rid of this Jap-crap and teach these kids whats right and keep the muscle stateside where it belongs

Attachments

• Road-Runner-1-728x485.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 177
I had a coworker say to me today..."you sure have a nice collection of rusty vehicles"

I looked at him and smiled... then asked his kids if they had ever ridden in a Scamp.... The look on his face was priceless when they piled in and we tore around the block..... Needless to say I got a kick out of inpsiring our future generation to get excited about rusty old cars.... Have fun or go home!

i had a coworker say to me today..."you sure have a nice collection of rusty vehicles"

i looked at him and smiled... Then asked his kids if they had ever ridden in a scamp.... The look on his face was priceless when they piled in and we tore around the block..... Needless to say i got a kick out of inpsiring our future generation to get excited about rusty old cars.... Have fun or go home!
<--

awesome.

I realized a long tme ago that I was not "like" "most" people.

I also realized that I am not even like most "car people", or even "Mopar" people.

I firmly believe that 85% of all humans are either assholes or idiots (some are both).

This carries over (although to a somewhat lesser degree) through each group and subgroup of "enthusiasts".

I've never really been about having someone else's approval for my work or interests, although it is nice to find folks that can carry on an intelligent conversation about a particular subject.

When I go to a car show, I never enter for "judging". I appreciate the cars for the original design, engineering and "as built" configuration. I can also appreciate a car that has been modified in a way that I find tasteful.

If no one looks at my car. I don't care. I realize not everyone is into 73 Satellites, although they share a boatload of similar and some identical features as 71/72 cars and even E bodies.

I do get a fair share of positive comments, although most seem to come from daily driving, rather than shows or cruises.

Let's face it. Mopars are Underdogs. 318s and sixes are underdogs of the underdogs, and pre and post 68-70, are the underdogs of the underdogs of the underdogs.

Idon't have a problem with that, either :)

That one will be 5 cents.

Disclosure- I do have some pretty strong "argument enders" if I'm ever painted into a corner about anything, though.

and i tell you what i had more fun after the special trophy it means more to me then the 10.00 trophy they give , they are always going to be better looking cars in everyone eyes i ve been to shows and saw better looking and details of a car and no one even looked twice at them ive been told i killed my car by dont going back to stock other saids dont change a thing some will said i would have done this and that if your happy thats all such matter .................. badlilred is happy

:thumblef:

I realized a long tme ago that I was not "like" "most" people.

I also realized that I am not even like most "car people", or even "Mopar" people.

I firmly believe that 85% of all humans are either assholes or idiots (some are both).

This carries over (although to a somewhat lesser degree) through each group and subgroup of "enthusiasts".

I've never really been about having someone else's approval for my work or interests, although it is nice to find folks that can carry on an intelligent conversation about a particular subject.

When I go to a car show, I never enter for "judging". I appreciate the cars for the original design, engineering and "as built" configuration. I can also appreciate a car that has been modified in a way that I find tasteful.

If no one looks at my car. I don't care. I realize not everyone is into 73 Satellites, although they share a boatload of similar and some identical features as 71/72 cars and even E bodies.

I do get a fair share of positive comments, although most seem to come from daily driving, rather than shows or cruises.

Let's face it. Mopars are Underdogs. 318s and sixes are underdogs of the underdogs, and pre and post 68-70, are the underdogs of the underdogs of the underdogs.

Idon't have a problem with that, either :)

That one will be 5 cents.

Disclosure- I do have some pretty strong "argument enders" if I'm ever painted into a corner about anything, though.

X2000
yup that about sum's it up
I go to car events to look at car's and talk to people about their car, not mine, I already know most everything about my car, I park my Barracuda, and go walk around looking at what other cool cars showed up, so I have no idea who look's at mine, or what they have to say about it, don't much care either,

I'm a young man and I always love it when I read these threads and see the youth being bashed. I'm 34 and I've been around Mopars since I was born. My father has been a Mopar Maniac most of his life and has owned more Mopars then I can remember. I'm now a mechanic and make a good living because my father passed his love of cars on to me.

The other year( 4-5 years ago) we were at a Big Mopar Show here in Colorado w/ our 440 Duster. My wife and I were walking around looking at cars and there was a Hemi Orange RR w/ a Hemi, the Old Duffer who owned it was setting next to it( I know of him, he owns some other cars that ride around in trailers) My wife looked at him and said what a pretty car he had. He was looking right at her. He didn't say thanks, he didn't even acknowledge her or even nod his head. Really pissed me off that the guy thought he was so frickin cool that he couldn't say thanks for a nice comment from a cute young lady. I wanted to say something but I bit my tongue and carried on. Whatever, that old shitbag will probably be dead before me and I might just own his car someday so we'll so who gets the last laugh.

So, last year my Wife and I got our Hemi Dart finished and we took it to a couple shows. Well, guess who walked up to our car and wanted to talk about it. I recognized him right away and I know my wife did to. He walked up and started asking questions and admiring the car, my wife was as sweet as could be, said thanks and just proved what a great women she really is. I just sat back and watched, I was ready for what ever. If she would have tore into him I had her back and was prepared for a Good Ol Boy *** whoopin right there. But the truth is we were the young couple and we were the bigger people. All I'm trying to say here is that being a asshole isn't based on age. Ignorance is blind to age and comes in all shapes and sizes. I have been very respectful of those who have been respectful to me and because of that I have a lot of older Good Ol Mopar Boys that take care of me and make sure I get the parts and cars I'm lookin for.

So, to the O.P
Go to car shows and make friends, young or old, all that matters is that they are good people who love cars( any make, any model) and love turning wrenches. Once you find these people you will be looking forward to car shows every chance you get.

One more thing I'll never forget is when I was a kid my Mom once told me that "If you don't have something nice to say then keep your mouth shut" I'll take that to the grave.

I had a coworker say to me today..."you sure have a nice collection of rusty vehicles"

I looked at him and smiled... then asked his kids if they had ever ridden in a Scamp.... The look on his face was priceless when they piled in and we tore around the block..... Needless to say I got a kick out of inpsiring our future generation to get excited about rusty old cars.... Have fun or go home!

Hey man its not rust its weight savings :D
And My 73 is much lighter than it ever was :thumblef:

Attachments

• IMG_6216.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 113
To the boy's comment, there's a HUGE HUGE difference between "I'm gonna" and "I DID". A head full of "gonnas" aren't worth a crap.

(I didn't read the whole thread, just first post, sorry if same has already been said.)

To the boy's comment, there's a HUGE HUGE difference between "I'm gonna" and "I DID". A head full of "gonnas" aren't worth a crap.

(I didn't read the whole thread, just first post, sorry if same has already been said.)
He will probably just end up buying one thats done. go to any show and cruise and you'll notice not very many guys under 45yo that own true muscle cars. should be a lot more cars for sale than buyers in a few more years. The overseas market is strong

-
Back