Putting a 273 in Old Red Val.

-

Old Red Valiant

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and bought a used 273 with auto trans, attached for a low price. Now the fun begins. Since I am not equipped, with tools or talent, a friend in my car club owns a local speed shop, http://www.bobbycspeedconnection.com/ in Norfolk Ma..
He agreed to do the fresh up on the old 273 and engine swap. It been sitting for ten years, but preserved nicely.

While I have the car in a shop and the doing the K-frame engine swap. I decided to do the disc conversion as well. But $$$ is tight and I want to avoid going to a BBP wheels. I found this sort of bolt on option.

It at Scarebird brake conversions - http://www.bobbycspeedconnection.com/

Has anybody used these? any comments.

Also looking for a 8 cyl transmission cross member set up for dual exhaust.

Thank you

2 things....

1. Early A's use the same k member whether /6 or V8...just the mounts for the V8 are different. What you will have to locate is a V8 dropped center link, for V8 oil pan clearance.

2. No early A factory dual exhaust trans X-members were ever made, mostly because they never offered dual exhaust in an early A. The "Commando" single was the only performance setup available. I believe Layson's offers a modded one for using dual exhaust, or you can mod your current one yourself (just copy the driver's side).

Well here is an update of my engine swap on my 66 valiant. I'm sorry I haven't kept this thread going as I started a new job shortly after starting this post.

While the engine refresh didn't go as well as expected, It needed to be bored,cleaned and rebuilt. The heads also needed to be redone all new valves and pistons. Also needed to crank shaft. I did have to locate a drop link in order the special engine mounts. All that came together sometime in the September time frame.

Since then the engine has been put in the car I had a special transmission cross member made for the dual exhaust. Thank you cosgig.

I have decided to put a MSD EFI system. which is installed, but we haven't turned the key yet. I also had to put a new radiator in. The exhaust is being installed this week, hopefully.

The oil pressure has been tested and hopefully my next post will be a video of it starting for the first time.

Since this picture was taken, I have since switched the intake to a lower unit that I got from davescuda, as well as the center link and drivers side manifold. The members came through very quickly.

Attachments

• CAM00205.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 478
  • CAM00206.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 485
  • CAM00227.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 478
Great thread!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
This is a great example of how projects get to be more than originally planned.

Your car looks to be in really great shape too.

Will the hood close with that intake on it?

Thanks for keeping it 273. And awesome you still have a local speed shop. With everything mail order,it's a rare thing.

Great thread!
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
This is a great example of how projects get to be more than originally planned.

Your car looks to be in really great shape too.

Will the hood close with that intake on it?

He put a lower one on it.

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging words.
I have found the latest picture of the project. It was taken last week. I have a few more, but they were taken with my good camera, that after 3 years, I still have trouble figuring out the settings. Hence they are too large to upload. I need to take more.

Also waiting a new power steering bracket. I'm using my pump from the /6. The one that came with engine was junk and a GM pump. Still waiting on the new gas tank and sending unit. I didn't want to start it with the old gas tank and all the junk that's in it.. Start fresh and install the new EFI pump at the same time.
And yes, I am getting very excited to hear it run and take a ride. Trying to temper my excitement so things don't get rushed.

Happy New Year to all. Be safe.

Attachments

• engine small.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 469
I'm afraid the pulley on the pump from a slant will be wrong too.
I would just look for a complete pump pulley bracket set up from a 273.
Both mine have a tall oval shaped neck on the reservoir if that helps.
Happy mopraing

You'll have fun with the 273 and it will be interesting to hear more about the EFI
you are using. Sounds like you're taking your time and getting it done although it's hard to hold back the excitement. Keep the posts and photos coming. Good luck with your project. tmm

Thanks for the tip. I called my guy let him know and he said the bracket he ordered was for my pump on a small block 8. It should be in within a day or so. I will let you know if you are correct. It it doesn't fit, it will be just another speed bump. As usual this site keeps me informed and aware.

Greeting Members and Happy News Year,

Well the day came. I went down to the shop where the car is just to check on progress. To my surprise they were ready to turn the key. They installed the new gas tank, secured the power steering, but the hose was leaking, so they removed the belt. I didn't have my good camera with tripod. So I broke out the cell phone and did the video thing. The exhaust still needs to be completed and the disc brakes and sway bar. But it is Alive..........IT IS ALIVE..............Check out the video.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=755199421161377&notif_t=video_processed

Attachments

• 011114-1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 011114-3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 411
I can feel the excitement in the air!! Super stoked for you, that motor looks awesome!! Checked out the video...2 thumbs up!! Geof

Very nice! That injection is cool! Keep us informed on the driveability and mileage you get when you get a chance. You will have lots of fun with this one. tmm

I am very excited to take it for a ride, but I hope it takes another month or 2 to finish. Its free storage. And my daily driver likes the garage during the cold and snow. Its been a good day, The Old Red Valiant is reborn and the Patriots win and go to the AFC title game, hopefully against San Diego.:finga:

Attachments

• Patriots.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 325
Well so far the EFI was an easy install. My mechanic was very good at doing all the small things that make it run well as well as making it look good.

This is the system I used. Can't wait to take it for a ride let everyone know how it performs.

http://www.atomicefi.com/home.aspx

Having some issues with the Scarebird brake conversion. The new sway bar that was installed interferes with the brakes. The calipers hit the sway bar when turning. Bummer. So that will be coming off until I go with the 73 and up spindles and a frame. Also Scarebird sent the wrong mounting plates for 1 side. Other than that, it should be ready to drive soon.

I pulled the trigger and bought a used 273 with auto trans, attached for a low price. Now the fun begins. Since I am not equipped, with tools or talent, a friend in my car club owns a local speed shop, http://www.bobbycspeedconnection.com/ in Norfolk Ma..
He agreed to do the fresh up on the old 273 and engine swap. It been sitting for ten years, but preserved nicely.

While I have the car in a shop and the doing the K-frame engine swap. I decided to do the disc conversion as well. But $$$ is tight and I want to avoid going to a BBP wheels. I found this sort of bolt on option.

It at Scarebird brake conversions - http://www.bobbycspeedconnection.com/
Has anybody used these? any comments.

Also looking for a 8 cyl transmission cross member set up for dual exhaust.

Thank you

Why don't you just go to scarebirds web site and get it there? probably cheaper also. I've used them and they work great. get a good master cylinder (search here about master cylinder and wheel cylinder bore sizes to get what you want your pedal to feel like! believe me it makes a big difference) and make sure the rubber line to the rear end is good. replace the rear wheel cylinders to the newer style(that's pretty much all you can find anyways.) they have the newer style rubber cups in there to help prevent seepage/leaks. (need proportioning valve for drum/disc also)

I used the scarebird conversion on a couple of early darts for others, 1 65 plymouth satellite and a 69 charger and went both ways(on the early A's)1 small bolt pattern and 1 large bolt pattern. (I went large bolt pattern for me on another one since it was easier to get the parts I needed at an autoparts store if I had to, no drilling of rotors needed) stops on a dime and has good feel. I used the year 1974 wheel cylinders and a smaller bore master cylinder. I think it was 15/16 or smaller , dang can't remember now.
hope this helps

Very important to make it stop. Work out the bugs and get out the video. Let's go for a ride. LOL Looks like you're having fun with your build. tmm

-
Back