putting a 383 in a 72 cuda

-

steve-o

Reaction score
I have a 72 cuda that had a 360. i currently have a 383 with a 727 tranny. my measurements tell me that it will fit in. the motor itself looks to be about 3 inches wider than the 360 and it appears that the mounts on the 383 look a lil farther back maybe an inch and a half. wondering if i can drop the motor in without changing the k frame. maybe change the mounts? any input would be helpful.

The 383 will go with know problem, It will need different mounts and trans and you will have to shorten your drive shaft.

......If u had a 727 behind the 360. ur good 2 go.....does the 383 have the biscuit mounts, if so ur in like flinn....................kim............

72 Cudas CAME as in FACTORY with B/ RB engines. Therefore it is a "bolt in."

You need the factory proper engine brackets, IE the metal bracket between the mount and the engine, and the matching (rubber) engine mounts for 383/ 400/ 440

Same with manifolds/ headers/ exhaust. All factory stuff for BB engines

You'll either have to upgrade the radiator or at least have the lower outlet switched side to side

I'm not absolutely sure, I think the rear crossmember is a go as is. Depending on what trans was in the car, you'll need a different driveshaft.

Minor wiring changes, off ya go.

........I have the proper mounts if u need.........what year/car did the 383 come out of.......post pics of the mounts....ur drive shaft will need 2 b shortened approx 4 inches.........kim..........

everything i have been reading has been putting a smile on my face. the motor came out of a 66 newport. same with the tranny. how much were you looking to get for those mounts?

72 Cudas CAME as in FACTORY with B/ RB engines. Therefore it is a "bolt in."

they did ? 1971 was the last year for the big block in the E body.

BUT that said a big block will drop in and it is a bolt in deal. all you need is the standard Big block engine brackets and use the same rubber mounts that are on the 360. Same goes for the trans , bolts to the same crossmember and uses the same mount , if it was a 904 you'll need a shorter driveshaft and 727 specific linkages for the kickdown and shifter.

-
Back