putting a 8 1/4 into a 72 Duster.

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
more questions. I'm in the process of installing a ANOTHER (long story!) mild 318 (performer intake, MSD ign., pocket ported, mild cam, headers, .030 over) into my slant 6 duster. The engine is done already and the current rear 7 1/4 in it is noisy. I have a 88' 5th Avenue that the powerplant came from and for its disc brakes as well as little odds and ends. This is not a race car by any stretch but all I've had are 8 3/4's and one Dana 60 in Mopars so I have no experience with this rear. I have a 8 3/4 but I'm saving it for a 68 Barracuda that i don't even own yet but I'm working on it :-\"
What do I have to do to get this rear under the car being I already own it...

I don't think it will be a direct fit. You will probably have to move the leaf spring perches in a bit. Contact Abodyjoe for a good writeup of this upgrade.
C

Yeah the spring perches on a 8&1/4 from a 5th Ave will need to be moved to the same spacing as your 7&1/4. You'll use the shock plates from the 5th ave. and new 3 inch U bolts are about 35 bucks. The drive shaft will need to be 1&1/4 inch shorter also.

thats what i run in my 71. the mount need moved just a little .in a pinch it will bolt in but springs will have a little angle.i think mine was from a aspen

P1011153.jpg

P1011155.jpg

thanks for the info dudes. Time to get oily. I'm not gonna have to play the offset wheel thing am I?? I have the steel wheels that came off of the 5th Ave, I guess I'll paint them and get some dog dishes for them.

-
Back