Putting woodgrain dash pieces in my Duster

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
There is a Valiant sitting at a junkyard near me that has the full woodgrain dash in it. I'm considering putting it in my Duster (it's a '73 btw). My Duster right now just has the plain dash and woodgrain cluster. What would it take to install this stuff in my car? I'm also including a picture of my dash currently (I'm painting it black).

IMG_0108.JPG

miscpictures 197.JPG

Why would you want to do that?

I wish my Dart didn't have it. I like the look of the plain dash.

Pretty sure you have to drill holes. That is how mine is mounted.

That can turn into a can of worms on several levels...

I think the best way to do this is to buy the entire Dash from the parts car.
Otherwise you will be drilling numerous holes in your original Dash!
IF the drilling does not bother you........

After removing the doner parts (Take the whole Glovebox Door then you are only drilling for the Center Filler piece).
I would take the entire Heater Controller too in case it is different than yours (not likely but....).
Make a detailed Template of hole locations and sizes.
The nuts that hold the trim on the Dash are threaded onto Plastic Studs so take time and be gentle.

Another alternative I have seen done once before was to Glue the Center Piece on.
The Studs for the Heater Control and the Radio Knobs hold it pretty snug anyway. The person cut off all the Plastic Studs that went into the holes, glued the Center and used the above mentioned points to anchor it just fine.
Also just bolt on the Glove Box Door.... Taa Daa! Done with no holes and can be Undone with a little glue removal.

I have several of the "Deluxe" Dashes hanging around here so if ya want pics of behind I can take them and post them here for ya. Just let me know.

Later,
Bruce B.

To do it "factory", you have to drill relief holes for the plastic studs.......

BUT, you can also use aggressive 3M 2 sided emblem tape to mount them........your radio knobs help keep it in place as well in the center portion.

I like woodgrain...........Definitely.

109_0970.jpg

102_0212.jpg

102_0213.jpg

Nice Burl Overlay!
Where did you get that one from?
I have toyed with doing an overlay with Real Wood Veneer myself.

Later,
Bruce B.

pastortom1,

Are those speakers mounted in your transmission hump that I see ???? how do you keep dry and how is the sound ??

ian.

-
Back