Pypes Stainless Exhaust Install with Pics!

-

strange246

Reaction score
Started installing my Pypes stainless Race Pro exhaust today, great quality so far, I have the mufflers hung, the tailpipes tacked into the mufflers, the X-pipe clamped into position (Leaving that joint unwelded incase I ever need to pull the tranny...All I have left is to make the downpipes and put the hangers on the tailpipes...Only mods I had to make was to slit the x-pipe in the bends to allow me to space the mufflers farther apart....Tig welding the whole thing.

Ryan

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01852.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01854.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

Not to bad. The X pipe doesn't seem to come off the header through the clearanced area at the tranny to well. 1st and 2nd pictures.

Have you any other shots of this pipe going past the inverted humps but the mount? Also, what pipe size?

looks like a nice setup. what size are those pipes? 2 1/2 ? will it be connected to headers or stock manifolds?

Not to bad. The X pipe doesn't seem to come off the header through the clearanced area at the tranny to well. 1st and 2nd pictures.

Have you any other shots of this pipe going past the inverted humps but the mount? Also, what pipe size?

Between the way the pipes are hanging and the camera angle it looks way off, in reality they're centered in the cutouts in the crossmember, when I hook them to the headers I'll take a few more shots...

They're 2.5" pipes, hooking to Schumacher headers...

Ryan

Yeah, 440, 11.2-1 compression, Edelbrock heads, Comp Extreme Energy cam, Mighty Demon carb, 727 and a 3.91 suregrip

Nice, that should get the job done!!! Fuel cell looks small how big is that?

looks nice! I gotta get around to getting my new headers and pypes exhaust in. I also bought band clamps instead of using the clamps they sent.

Here's a few of the downpipes and the whole X-pipe off the car, got almost all the welding done and ran out of argon with 2 welds to go...

Ryan

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

Nice work Ryan. I'm using the Pypes band clamps and they do leak. I applied some permatex around the pipe to seal them up better.

Nice work Ryan. I'm using the Pypes band clamps and they do leak. I applied some permatex around the pipe to seal them up better.

Thanks I'll give that a try, the bands I'm using are a different brand but I'm sure they're all the same...

Ryan

Looks sweet! Nice job...

What size tire are you running in the back there? It looks like you have your springs inboard? Tailpipes dont seem to be an issue?

Looks sweet! Nice job...

What size tire are you running in the back there? It looks like you have your springs inboard? Tailpipes dont seem to be an issue?

Nope no issues with the tailpipes, the springs are moved in with the MP kit, the wheelwells are mini-tubbed, and the tires are 325/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets, I had to move the rear end back about an inch to center the tires in the wheelwells....Here's a pic from behind with those tires..

Ryan

Backend.jpg

Nice job, being a weldor, I can appreciate the skill it takes to tig stainless pipe, especially thinwall. Is it just the picture, The shocks look awful close to pipes. and the rear is unloaded. Will the shocks move outward slightly? maybe not. did you compensate with top shock mounts, when moving rear back? would`nt that throw shocks in a bind? Or am I just missing something. Also, maybe an issue, with shocks reaching their travel limits, bottoming out. Use shorter shocks? Suspending system by rubber, at an angle, may cause system to sag possibly, with enough bumps, or is this a strip only car? Not busting your chops, just throwing a few things out there that may have been overlooked. One thing for sure, your grandkids can have a solid exhaust system, when they`re 80. Stainless, the ultimate steel8)

Nice job, being a weldor, I can appreciate the skill it takes to tig stainless pipe, especially thinwall. Is it just the picture, The shocks look awful close to pipes. and the rear is unloaded. Will the shocks move outward slightly? maybe not. did you compensate with top shock mounts, when moving rear back? would`nt that throw shocks in a bind? Or am I just missing something. Also, maybe an issue, with shocks reaching their travel limits, bottoming out. Use shorter shocks? Suspending system by rubber, at an angle, may cause system to sag possibly, with enough bumps, or is this a strip only car? Not busting your chops, just throwing a few things out there that may have been overlooked. One thing for sure, your grandkids can have a solid exhaust system, when they`re 80. Stainless, the ultimate steel8)

The shocks really arnt very close to the pipes, it's just the pic, when you relocate the leaf springs, it makes you go to a longer shock as the back end of the car ends up higher, the angle change of the shocks when moving the rear end back is so minor that binding isnt an issue...Suspending with rubber? Do you mean the exhaust in terms of sagging? No worries, I'm changing the hangers to a totally different setup, not happy with the looks of the Pypes cheapie hangers, but think about it, even new cars have the exhaust suspended by rubber donut like bushings....

Ryan

Nope no issues with the tailpipes, the springs are moved in with the MP kit, the wheelwells are mini-tubbed, and the tires are 325/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets, I had to move the rear end back about an inch to center the tires in the wheelwells....Here's a pic from behind with those tires..

Ryan

Backend.jpg

Are you sure those are 50 series tires?

They seem to have more tire between the wheel and concrete to be 50s.

Maybe I'm seeing things or something.

50 is the ratio of the sidewall height to the tread width, so it's 50% of 325. A 325 should be about 13" wide, which would make the sidewall about 6 1/2". Same size tires vary slightly between manufacturers, so give or take about half an inch.

hey Ryan, I am looking at getting the exact same Pypes set-up. What parts did you buy and end up using for the downpipes/ in front of the x-pipe? Summit has the kit from the x-back. I am doing the similar 383/727 in a Valiant. You can't beat the price of this at $200 for stainless!! ~Ben

Have you fired it up yet Ryan to see how it sounds? I just ordered the same system for my Cuda today.

Not yet, it's close but I completely forgot a trans cooler and lines, so now I'm waiting for the parts and time for that...

Ryan

Well, I switched "gears" and went with a killer 340727 instead of 383/727. Bought the 2-1/2" Pypes set-up. Going to run headers w/340. I will post when I get the pipes up too. Looks to be a great fit from what Ryan has shown. My leafs & springs will be in stock location though. FYI- I think Summit has mis-priced this system. Look at all the other E & B body costs, over $100 more?! Mine was $200 for the Violator muff package- same as the other two- just different muffs. , can't beat that! :tonqe:

Well, I switched "gears" and went with a killer 340727 instead of 383/727. Bought the 2-1/2" Pypes set-up. Going to run headers w/340. I will post when I get the pipes up too. Looks to be a great fit from what Ryan has shown. My leafs & springs will be in stock location though. FYI- I think Summit has mis-priced this system. Look at all the other E & B body costs, over $100 more?! Mine was $200 for the Violator muff package- same as the other two- just different muffs. , can't beat that! :tonqe:

You got the entire system mufflers and all for just $200? Mine was $289 Friday when I ordered it. I went with the Race-pro muffs but it was the same price no matter what muffs I went with.

-
Back