QA1 strut bars.......

-

GoDartGo

thread killer un-member
Reaction score
any of you guys ever install the QA1 aluminum strut bars on your A body? I was wondering if I could cut the old ones off and leave the T-bars in place. yes? no? any trouble checking for bind that way?

I cut my old ones off and never touched the torsion bars when I put on a set of RMS strut rods. I'll never go back to the factory set unless it was a correct restoration.

any of you guys ever install the QA1 aluminum strut bars on your A body? I was wondering if I could cut the old ones off and leave the T-bars in place. yes? no? any trouble checking for bind that way?

You might not be able to make that work. The QA1 strut rods use a threaded adjuster that installs from the strut rod side of the LCA. Basically meaning they need to be installed just like stock strut rods. Other adjustable strut rods, like the RMS ones, just use a bolt that comes in from the torsion bar side of the LCA. I actually like the QA1 design better, because it means the length adjustment is double adjustable, it's totally separate from the mounting of the strut rod. With a bolt in the back all the adjustment is from the threaded shaft on the heim and you can't make adjustments with them fully mounted in place.

I know that when I installed the QA1 style strut rods on my Challenger I had to push the LCA's back further than they would go with the torsion bars completely in place. I suppose if you disassemble the QA1 strut rods and drop the heim joint end off of the mounting block it might work, but I think you'd have a hard time putting the bolt back through the heim with the block mounted in the K frame. It's been like 10 years since I did that install though.

hal-52312_xl.jpg

Wow I never looked at the QA1 rods. They are completely different than the RMS rods.

Wow I never looked at the QA1 rods. They are completely different than the RMS rods.

Yup. It's a double adjuster design that's almost entirely aluminum. The heim, heim bolt, rear adjuster and nuts are the only steel parts. I did put about 70k street miles on my Challenger with the aluminum strut rods too, they're plenty strong enough.

Mine were actually built by CAP, before they were bought out by QA1. The strut rod design was probably the only one that wasn't changed, but it also doesn't include any welded joints. The welding and quality control on the welding was CAP's downfall.

These are the ones I have. Really easy to put in and they are aluminum as well. Yours look more heavy duty though.

strutrods.jpg

-
Back