Quality quater panel skins?

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
I am most likely going to have to change one of the quarter panel skins on my 67 dart project. It is not due to rust,but rather a earlier repair of sorts.I am a professional body man and painter so i am wondering what is the best QUALITY quarter skins avalible? I was thinking maybe goodmark? I have gotten in to replacing quaters with those cheap ,thin,and just about junk quarters before, and i had rather start with a good one! If i am going to have to repair one and use filler from end to end i had rather fix the one that is on the car. If anyone has some suggesions i would love to hear them. Thanks in advance. Matt :burnout:

I`m not crazy about any of these 1/4 panels from Goodmark or anyone else. Laysons claims to carry panels that are factory thickness and not the offshore imports. ??????? You might try asking Rick from Laysons here at the site. He could verify what I said or find me wrong, but if they do truly have a better panel, I would use it.

looked but if it was me I would want a decent one from a junk car cut it out and fit it in. But of course that old little rust and few dings is a hard find too right...

Maybe someone on the club has a Dart they are gonna part out?
Good luck!

The quarters we carry have the black EDP coating and they come from the same sources all the other vendors get theirs from. The panels we have that are factory thickness are the ones we have made for us exclusively by a U.S. manufacturer, such as the 67-69 Cuda rear valances, assorted fender patches, lower quarter patches, and inner splash shields.

Thanks for clearing that up Rick. I bought the rear valance for my 67 Barracuda from Layson`s and it was factory thickness. I was happy with the quality. I`m sorry to hear that you guys have the same quarters as everyone else, I was hoping that there was another source for a quality panel.

Thanks for the replies.That is the problem that i have ran into with most of these aftermarket quarter panel skins/patch panels. They have poor fit,thin made, and different contours. I may have to find a decent used one, if that is possible.

I have a NOS one for 4 door sedan. Send me a PM if you're interested. I will get to you Asap. I'm gonna be out of office until next Friday

Like said, they all come from the same vendor. The one that was put on my car was also 2" to long. Im now trying to block it and make some body line on it. Fun. Its got more waves then the Atlantic ocean.

Thanks for the offer 65dartcharger. I will be in need of one for a 2 door hardtop.Like adam said, I just installed 2 quater skins on a 68 coronet convertible.Witch they are quite a bit longer , but they were pretty junkie.The metal was really thin and the lines were just real faint.I don't know what i will do , i may just wait and try to find a good used one.If that possible.Thanks again fellows.

It's a real shame about these aftermarket panels.I've been waiting for someone to step up and make a good one as I need a lefty.Prices for good used sheet metal(if you can find it) arent reasonable either.I was quoted over $500 for a used rust free panel,but it needed work to be good.So Im still waiting...

What does that make a quality new 1/4 worth?I think I'd willingly pay more than the $200 they want for crap now.

It's a real shame about these aftermarket panels.I've been waiting for someone to step up and make a good one as I need a lefty.Prices for good used sheet metal(if you can find it) arent reasonable either.I was quoted over $500 for a used rust free panel,but it needed work to be good.So Im still waiting...

What does that make a quality new 1/4 worth?I think I'd willingly pay more than the $200 they want for crap now.

If they would just make the replacement 1/4`s out of the same gauge metal as the factory panels they would be a lot easier to work and the finish would be so much better. As Adam mentioned even if you float them on they come out really wavy. I heaped on the undercoating all over the inner panel to help firm it up and to hold down the resonance. It has helped a little. A good quality panel would be well worth $500.00 IMO.

can you get duster wheel lip mouldings now i call and they said 6 moths can you help me mike 931 261 8227

If they would just make the replacement 1/4`s out of the same gauge metal as the factory panels they would be a lot easier to work and the finish would be so much better. As Adam mentioned even if you float them on they come out really wavy. I heaped on the undercoating all over the inner panel to help firm it up and to hold down the resonance. It has helped a little. A good quality panel would be well worth $500.00 IMO.

Hmm.I wonder why they are made from light gage metal.Cheaper?

Or the dies cant handle heavier stuff...

Yes,I agree with $500.It would be nice to get a good panel..

Hmm.I wonder why they are made from light gage metal.Cheaper?

Or the dies cant handle heavier stuff...

Yes,I agree with $500.It would be nice to get a good panel..

i know when my dad bought a factory oe chrysler pannel for his challenger even that wasnt a 'direct fit' he did have to move it around a lil, but it was much better then the typical black edp pannels.

I just put one of those edp pannels on a chevelle, man that sucked, body lines were 1/4 to close to each other(didnt match up with door) body lines were dull. Also the metal is like welding tin foil with a blow tourch...what a pain, the plug welds were nearly impossible to look decent, yet im pretty picky. It gave me some practice for my cuda, but also helped me prepair for the pains of putting one on my cuda, since it will be no less the perfect :lol:

-
Back