Quarter Mile Gear Selection

-
I think Rusty is right. I ran 355s, then 430s and settled on 391 though I’m running a 26 inch tire with a four speed, the 430 is blue through the power band way too fast. 391s are pulling like a freight train.

To my benefit, 1/8 isn’t going anywhere no matter what people feel about it. I must say, 1/8 mile helps the pocketbook of everyone who runs 1/8 mile, including the race track. That’s what people who are hell bent against 1/8 mile need to look at. I built my car to race 1/4 mile and ran 1/4 mile for years before things went 1/8. All it did was save me engine maintenance, tires, fuel, etc. especially when you start putting on 100+ runs a season. Going through 1/8 mile at 7,000-7,200 rpm compared to 1/4 mile at 7,700-8000rpm really makes a difference. Especially for those with high lift cams and high valve spring pressure. Just something to consider.

I was a charter member of hating 1/8 racing when it came out. Thought it sucked.
Currently, I think I like it better( as long as I can still get a 1/4 hit in once in a while)
I know this sounds wierd, but I almost get a little skittish any more when I hit the 1/8 mile pole and keep my foot to the floor to leg out a 1/4 mile hit. Even a car running 10.30’s is moving on the big end, and start sometimes thinking about things you didn’t used to think about..lol
Shame on me I guess:realcrazy:

I don't care if it's 1/8 or 1/4 I just want to finish my junk , go shake the car down and run it.
I probably won't care either way at my hometown track. I might have to put a passenger seat in with a straight jacket and run someone down the 1/8....then drop him back off at the sanitarium lol

I don't care if it's 1/8 or 1/4 I just want to finish my junk , go shake the car down and run it.
I probably won't care either way at my hometown track. I might have to put a passenger seat in with a straight jacket and run someone down the 1/8....then drop him back off at the sanitarium lol
I'd love to run some 1/8 mile. I'm simply not prepared to be amongst ghetto thugs riskin my life. Cause that's all we got at the track nearest me. lol

Yeah, no one needs that crap
Make manners great again
It's a total shame, really. Up until about the late 80s, the track was somewhat obscure. No one but people who were serious about racing went. NO big time betting, no trouble, no fights. But also, they didn't have a lot of amenities. Porta potties was it and the technology was 1960s. Now, the facility is pretty nice, but the bad element has totally taken over. I used to go and watch a good bit, but not now. Someone is always gettin hurt over there.

It's a total shame, really. Up until about the late 80s, the track was somewhat obscure. No one but people who were serious about racing went. NO big time betting, no trouble, no fights. But also, they didn't have a lot of amenities. Porta potties was it and the technology was 1960s. Now, the facility is pretty nice, but the bad element has totally taken over. I used to go and watch a good bit, but not now. Someone is always gettin hurt over there.
Sorry to hear that for you and anyone wanting to race / watch and have to risk their safety besides crashing into the wall

-
Back