Quarter panel and door sound deadener.

-

Hemiorangeswinger

Dodge Material
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody out there sells the original sound deadener that came on the inside of the quarters and doors? I want to respray my new panels before I install them because I want them to look original (I have the undercoat style gun to spray it)

Thanks!

Will do! I plan on applying it exactly like it was on my original quarters. Hopefully I'll have it in the next two weeks.

No need to flatter the factory that much. They didn't care then and they sure don't care now. Give it some personal touches.

I'm not flattering the factory method by any means, I'm doing a stock style resto and the little details make all the difference. That sound deadener is a very high build (same stuff they used as undercoat apparently) and has a unique texture. My car has the original quarters still and the factory made a mess of it with the odd sag and it's ugly mask job, which I plan to recreate since I'm doing full oe style quarters and I can spray them before welding them on. My door skins will get the same treatment before I put them on as well.

65DartGTConv I'd like to see some pics! I have to use the Schutz gun to apply this stuff as well. Did the 3M style undercoat have a thick build?

I bought this gun from Amazon.com for $15.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-4538-Economy-Undercoat/dp/B003D3N7W4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387464511&sr=8-1&keywords=UNDERCOAT+GUN"]Astro Pneumatic 4538 Economy Air Undercoat Gun - Amazon.com[/ame]

I can't say yet whether the texture will be as heavy as the original stuff. I'll play around with the pressure and multiple coats until it's a rough as I can get it.

I think the big difference between the original and the replacement will be the spray pattern of the gun. My quarters looked almost like they applied that stuff with a wide trowel like stucco. But I think it was actually a wide fan pattern on the gun. These cheap undercoat guns don't have any fan, they shoot a small circular pattern.

I don't think I'm going to fool anyone. I'd just like the texture to be similar, but even.

What gun did you use?
My undercoating looks alot rougher.

Shutz gun. This texture looks about the same as what was on my original quarter. You can definitely apply this stuff to give a rougher texture then this by playing with distance/air pressure.

Today I'm going to do a final touch on the sound deadener... I'm going to make a heavy spot on it where where it appears the assembly line worker stopped with the gun for a second. (Seen from inside the trunk) The passenger side is a lot more messy than the drivers side..

Thanks for following up with your results. Been keeping an eye here. Your efforts turned out looking great.
I am impressed with your mindset on duplicating factory details on this seemingly overlooked step. (I couldn't turn up much in a search)
Does the undercoating end up covered with paint or left as sprayed?

-
Back