Question, 65 Hurst shift knob

-

RJG

Reaction score
Hello FABO,
Does someone know what shift knob came with a 65 Barracuda 4speed. My car is an 'S' with Hurst shifter and black interior. Were all the knobs white, or did some come black to match the interior? The floor trim plate has the shift pattern, so did the knobs come plain, with no shift pattern?
Thank you for any knowledge you canhelp me with.
rjg

My 64 had the original was white now yellowed out shift knob on it when purchased. don't think they changed it in 65

I've seen all sorts of shifters & shifter balls in early A's (lots that are wrong). I have always thought white with the shift pattern to be correct! I wasn't around when these things were new so can't say 100%, correct me/school me if someone has proof. All the literature I have seen has the white ball with the shift pattern.

Just a black ball with no gate pattern.

X2

Original should be a semi-gloss black, not shiny like most newer. Believe the bench seat cars without the trim plate had a shiny white ball w/ pattern, at least the '65 B-bodies did.

I Agree... All 1965 4 speed A-Body cars with floor plate (Shift Road Map) came with a Black shifter Ball... However since Black gets so damn ~HOT~ here in the Arizona Desert... I swapped it out for plain WHITE... and the fact that my 65 Cuda is also WHITE...

In this pic, I have my original "Black Ball" on my seat (for this pic) and I do spin it on if I were doing a Show... Just Saying...

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• ShiftKnob.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 219
Thank you all for the great feedback.
So, my car would have been black, no pattern.

One more question: was the original 1 7/8" or 2"?

For 1965 the white ball with shift pattern were used when you had no console. The black shift ball was used when you had the chrome shift console with shift pattern.

-
Back