Question # 99

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I sold a car last week, two guys drove down from Ohio and picked up the car and parts, paid in cash, never a mention, guess it was a given that if You were coming donw, had only seen pics of the car, You would bring cash intead of prepaying, makes sense to me.
I have a guy driving from Missouri to buy a car, he's seen pics and I've answered all his questions, he's bringing a cashiers check and will be here about 3 or 4 o'clock.
Question #1 why not bring cash?
I'm feeling uncomfortable about even taking a cashiers check late in the afternoon, he loads up the car and is gone, see where I'm going. He ask for My full name for a cashiers check weeks ago, (and here's that dreaded word) I "ASSUMED" he was going to mail it to me, that way I could take it to the bank and make sure the checks good.
Any thoughts, I have good reason to be paranoid after some **** that's happened lately, I'm sick and tired of getting the **** end of the stick!

Any thoughts?
Thanks

I get a cashiers check everytime I travel for a car. Traveling anywhere with a stack of cash is stoopid these days.

Well I've heard even cahiers check can be faked, and late in the afternoon doesn't let the bank check the authenticity

hey I'm with ya man, if they can get a check, they can get cash. I would be a little scared too. Just me, I would say skip the check, even if they have to get a bunch of money-orders. as long as it was cash or equal to cash like a money order.

You're probably ok but when i go after a car i take cash. People like that stuff. Stupid? O.K but i'm packin also and if he's tough enough to take it from me then he's one tough bastard.

my friend next door sold his SUV a couple of years ago..for 10K,,,,took cash..went to bank and found out about 2500 of it was funny money...so watch out for cash also...

If I came with cash i,d make you nervous also with my ruger in my belt. I wouldnt let him take the car till the check is cashed though.When ever I carry more than a gouple g,s i always carry. I,ve always been wary of someone using someones elses car to set up a robbery.

So tell them you got the squits or something. Wait till morning. Actaully when I travel, I crash when I reach my destination (jet lag or whatever) and save business for next morning.

If you are worried all you have to do is get ahold of the guy and ask for the check info. The funding source (bank, financial institution,etc), the number across either the top or bottom of the check, the check number, and amount. Then simply look up the phone number of the funding source and give them the info and they will tell you if it is legit. Just tell your buyer that you had a problem with a check in the past and you dont want to hold him up when he gets there so youd like to verify everything in advance. If he gives you a hard time or wont give the info Id say thats a bad sign. Good luck!!!

Also make a copy of his drivers licence so you know who your dealing with, and a licence plate number to the truck they are driving....You should be fine

Hope it all works out for you! I know sometimes up here in Canada a certified cheque is to some people better than large sums of cash as there has been lots of counterfitting going on,someone sells something, gets a large sum of cash, takes to the bank and gets a call from the bank later saying 70 or 80% of the bills are fake. Its always scary to trust buyers who come from a distance but all you can do is try to relax, things will work out, I guess my point is you could get riped just as easily with cash.

Well He's on his way as we speak, will be here late tomorrow, it's not anyone on this board, I'm sure. it's Chevy.
I tell Ya guys, after some of the rugs that have been pulled out from under me lately, I'm ready to sell all my **** and take up fishing.
I guess that I still believe a mans word is is his prized posession, yeah I know naieve as hell, but that just the way I am, not that I'm stupid, I guess to trusting, If I tell Ya I'm gonna do something, consider it done, I value My word over everything else, course, I'm "old skool", and old.

And thanks for all the replies and suggestions

<------ Deputy Sheriff... That being said, ANY checks scare me, cashiers or not. If he did that he certainly could have come down with cash. It isn't the wild west so there is no reason he couldnt come down with cash. Beware. Google fake cashiers check on the net and see how many you can print

"Official" or "Cashier" checks can be fakes. Go directly to your bank and have them check it out (no pun intended). Do NOT call the "bank's" number on the check. Go online and find a number that way if you can't get to the bank in time. Cause if the check is fake, the phone number on the front will be also. And some friend of the dude will be waiting to answer the phone.

Typically when they pay with any kind of check, you can let them take the car, but don't send them the title in the mail until the check clears.

The buyer may be afraid to drive to a place of your choice with pockets full of cash. There are psychos out there that will bump you on the head,steal your money,cut your body up in to small pieces, and feed it to ........well you get the picture. I understand the cashiers check thing. What you can do is to copy the title and give it to the buyer along with a mutually signed contract stating the original title will be transferred as soon as the check is cleared.

The buyer may be afraid to drive to a place of your choice with pockets full of cash. There are psychos out there that will bump you on the head,steal your money,cut your body up in to small pieces, and feed it to ........well you get the picture. I understand the cashiers check thing. What you can do is to copy the title and give it to the buyer along with a mutually signed contract stating the original title will be transferred as soon as the check is cleared.

What he said! Thats What I do.

I sold a higher dollar car a few years ago. Before the guy flew down to drive it home he faxed me a copy of the cashier's check. I took it to my bank and they called the bank it was drawn on. They found out it was the guy's regular bank where he had been a customer for years so I felt fairly confident it would be ok, and it was.
If you're really worried I guess you could have the guy stop at a Staples along the way and fax it to your bank and they could check it out before he got there.
Good luck,
Dallas

If I am not mistaken, when you get a Cashier's Check, that amount of money must remain in your account, like an escrow, until the check is cashed. They might even be unable to close an account with an outstanding Cashier's Check.

However, in this day of computers and printers, just about anybody can forge a check. Play it safe and call the issuing entity for validation.

-
Back