Question about a 440 from an RV

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
I'm prepping a '78 440 that came from a huge winnebago RV to drop in the Demon for some summer fun. My question is where can I find a complete gasket rebuild kit for it? I'm not having any luck through normal sources because of the winnebago origin. I have read that there were some differences in the head gaskets on these engines, but I'm not sure if anything else is different or not. I'm sure I could just pick a 1978 model whatever and get a kit and just cross my fingers on the head gaskets, but I'd rather get the right set the first time. Any suggestions?

The Winnie could have come with a 440-1 or a 440-3 depending on the size of the rig. If it's truly a 440-3, they have extra cooling passages around the spark plug area. The plugs are the 5/8" tappered seat type also. Except for cam and compression ratio, I think that was the only difference between it and the 440-1. I thought all the head gaskets came with the extra holes but I haven't done one recently. Try get a head set for a '78 1 ton Dodge truck. Maybe they'll show both engines in the computer.
Thanks, Mark

check the exhaust ports, the early 70's RV's had industrial heads and not interchangable with standard exhaust manifolds or headers, not sure on late 70's

Yeah, I'll check the exhaust ports, thanks for the tip. I did look at the casting numbers on it today and its a 440-8, cast in 78...does that mean anything to anybody?

check the exhaust ports, the early 70's RV's had industrial heads and not interchangable with standard exhaust manifolds or headers, not sure on late 70's
The early 70's didn't use a 440 in a motorhome. They started in late '73 and used them until they ran out of blocks which was in '81. The pre early-73 motorhomes had a 413 or 361. Those were both industrial motors that didn't share too many parts with a car/PU motor....mostly bottom end stuff.
Thanks, Mark

So mine since it is a 1978 should be a "regular" 440 then right?
.....................................................................................................
Assuming that it hasn't been changed, your engine should be a 440-3 but could be a 440-1 as per my definition in the above reply.
Thanks, Mark

Mine was a 73 block , 74 heads.
steel crank with 6 pack rods , I sold the crank and rods and putting a 440Source 512 " really a 505" stroker kit its place.

-
Back