question about chainsaw maintenance

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so, ive been doing some spring cleaning, including sectioning a few downed trees and ive noticed that when i cut branches that are less the 14 inches across (the width of the blade) i always put the branch right up to the body of the saw, to keep it from kicking up

now, that got me wondering, will the chain closest to the body of the saw wear out quicker then the rest that way?

should i cut with the whole length of the saw to keep it from dulling up ?

what do you guys think ?

Dont know what saw you have but cut bottomside of gravity on limb first, halfway thru, then topside back from bottom cut til limb cracks. Lessons blade drag which dulls blade sooner. Lower rpm, slower cutting will extend life of chain. Also make sure your saw oiler is working and always full of oil..........

D.:thumbsup:

Since this is about a chainsaw in the funny stuff section ... there was a recent ad in Craigslist.

Chainsaw for sale. Only used once. Ask for Lefty.

never let chain oiler get over half empty,..never cut above your head or below ya feet, never stand on a latter and cut, never let blade hit dirt! got 4 or 5 friends that could win saw comps, notch 5 trees in a row and lay'um down like domino's... im not that comfortable with a chain saw,..if ya ant comfortable itll hurt ya! waited on a many a loggin site waitin on load of logs and never seen a slow, low rpm cut,..wide open throttle till shes goes from a lean to a fall...but to answer your question no it wont ware your blade out on back side,..letting blade get pinched will kill it quick! lol really cant tell how to do it right im better example of what not to do and this list is my most known repeated mistakes...fixin to go by a new chain and finish killing this ol homelite i got in a few days me self...be careful!

now, that got me wondering, will the chain closest to the body of the saw wear out quicker then the rest that way?
Lol, Only if the chain isn't rolling around the bar. Does your arm get tired real quick?:D
saw.jpg

You should cut every other branch from underneath so you wear out both the top and the bottom of the blade evenly :)

Doesn't really matter one way or the other if you use the saw correctly...that is give it to someone else to operate, while you have a cold one.

You should turn the saw over and cut with the chain on top of the saw and it will take twice as long to get dull ;>)

All right, here's the deal (and I have used chain saws extensively most of my life)

Most saws these days have a tip guard and I always throw those in the trash first thing.
Kickback most always comes from letting the tip of the blade get below the motor inside a cut.
This means the cut is wider than your bar is long, but as long as the motor stays below the bar tip it will never kick back.
Kick back does not come from, or caused by not butting the motor up against your log.
It IS caused by the tip biting into the log where it can climb out of your cut via the tip of the blade, and if you keep the motor lower than the bar tip this can never happen.

Anti kickback chains were designed to minimize this, but they are for people that don't know how to use a saw correctly.
These work by a fin on the top side of the chain that sticks up higher as the chain rounds the end of the bar, and then it lays down flatter when the chain is running flat allowing the cutting teeth to bite deeper again.
You will see these as what looks like a shark fin right in front of the cutting part of the tooth.
Look at them where the chain rounds the tip and you will see what I mean, as they stick up higher there as each tooth rounds the tip.
Personally I cut those down about 1/16 before I ever use that chain, but cutting them down too far will result in a saw that bites into the wood too deep and stops the chain constantly from trying to bite too deep all at once. as they are a depth guide also to keep from stalling the chain.
This means the saws power is basically the guide to how much you cut them down, and if cut down too far the chain will stop every time you touch the wood with it.
The way I determine if I cut them enough is when I can just lay the blade on the wood and it cuts as much as the motor can pull with NO extra downweight on the bar.
Not recommending you do this, but how I do it is if I only hold the saw by the rear handle it cuts as fast as the motor can pull.

Now, to your specific question.
The chain basically wears at the same rate over the entire chain because of it going around the bar, but it's the bar itself that wears.
I'm sure you have noticed the bar is basically to verticle sections of metal with a groove between them that the chain guides slide along in.
It's those two verticle surfaces that the chain actually rides on top of that wear, and if you always cut with the motor against your log it will wear the bar right in that same area.
Also they don't always wear at the same rate because most people put a little more weight on one side or the other just by the nature of how they hold the saw normally.
When they wear at different rates you will start getting cuts that curve to one side or the other as the bar goes through the cut (most noticeable on deep cuts, as in bigger logs)
Most blades can be turned over so you can have a flat slide surface again when one side wears down.
Roller tip blades are great for added chain life as they cut way down on the friction where the chain is getting pulled against the bar as it rounds the tip.
This cuts chain and bar heat down a ton and extends chain and bar life both.

Safety tips.
1. Always have a working chain brake and USE IT!
Every time you stop cutting and are holding the saw running that chain brake better be on.
I have seen people trip and fall and accidentally pull the throttle from gripping the saw.
That chain brake kept the chain from spinning while them and the saw both landed on each other.
2. NEVER let the tip of the bar get deeper in a cut than where the motor is unless you know what you are doing for sure (I mentioned that already)
3. ALWAYS keep your head and as much of your upper body as reasonably possible to one side or the other of the center of the saw. (kind of like shooting a big gun that kicks hard)
IF something happens like the bar tip grabs another log and you don't notice it the bar can jump up.
You want it go past you on one side and not come up and hit you in the face.
Sounds gruesome, but it does happen although anti kickback chains tend to limit this these days.

Cutting with the top of the bar presents it's own dangers.
It can be done safely and easily, but you better know and be ready for it's own set of dangers.
For one, instead of the saw pulling into your log it will push back.
Having your RPM's up and being ready for the push back are key here.
Also on that note, chainsaws run upside down. :D

Hints:
We used to use 1 gallon of 30wt engine oil with a bottle of STP in it for chain oil.
It is better for the chain and bar than most chain oils and a lot cheaper.
You will probably never need that much but still, the idea is the same.

Most small saws these days use a gravity feed bar oiling system, and pulling the bar off and running a little gas through the oil tank keeps the oil passage open.
Gravity feed systems plug up easy and this keeps them clear.
A good way to tell if your chain is getting enough oil is to put the tip of the bar a couple of inches away from your log or whatever and rev it up.
You should see small splatters of oil slinging onto the surface from the tip of the bar where the chain rounds it.

Hope this helps keep you and your saw both in good condition.
BTW I used to use my Dad's saw when he wasn't using it. (60 inch bar and 14hp) :D

I don't think they even make saws that powerful any more. :D

Last edited:
Good stuff, Trailbeast.

Thank you.
Funny thing is that when I was using saws the most, they didn't have chain brakes.
Those didn't seem to come along until much later, so when I needed to leave the saw running and do something with my hands I would flip the saw around pointing backwards.
The seam on the left leg of my Levi's were always all chewed up. :D
I never got cut, because you could feel the chain catch the seam so you knew it was getting too close.:D

Ah, those were the days.

My neighbor couldnt figure out why his new saw couldnt cut 18 inch maple. I asked him about his chain. "Its new, the saw is 2 weeks old." Took him to the stihl dealer and he got an Oregon non safety chain. He claims his saw is twice as efficient now. "Why dont they just put these on at the factory?" I asked him if he ever heard of lawyers.

All right, here's the deal (and I have used chain saws extensively most of my life)

Most saws these days have a tip guard and I always throw those in the trash first thing.
Kickback most always comes from letting the tip of the blade get below the motor inside a cut.
This means the cut is wider than your bar is long, but as long as the motor stays below the bar tip it will never kick back.
Kick back does not come from, or caused by not butting the motor up against your log.
It IS caused by the tip biting into the log where it can climb out of your cut via the tip of the blade, and if you keep the motor lower than the bar tip this can never happen.

Anti kickback chains were designed to minimize this, but they are for people that don't know how to use a saw correctly.
These work by a fin on the top side of the chain that sticks up higher as the chain rounds the end of the bar, and then it lays down flatter when the chain is running flat allowing the cutting teeth to bite deeper again.
You will see these as what looks like a shark fin right in front of the cutting part of the tooth.
Look at them where the chain rounds the tip and you will see what I mean, as they stick up higher there as each tooth rounds the tip.
Personally I cut those down about 1/16 before I ever use that chain, but cutting them down too far will result in a saw that bites into the wood too deep and stops the chain constantly from trying to bite too deep all at once. as they are a depth guide also to keep from stalling the chain.
This means the saws power is basically the guide to how much you cut them down, and if cut down too far the chain will stop every time you touch the wood with it.
The way I determine if I cut them enough is when I can just lay the blade on the wood and it cuts as much as the motor can pull with NO extra downweight on the bar.
Not recommending you do this, but how I do it is if I only hold the saw by the rear handle it cuts as fast as the motor can pull.

Now, to your specific question.
The chain basically wears at the same rate over the entire chain because of it going around the bar, but it's the bar itself that wears.
I'm sure you have noticed the bar is basically to verticle sections of metal with a groove between them that the chain guides slide along in.
It's those two verticle surfaces that the chain actually rides on top of that wear, and if you always cut with the motor against your log it will wear the bar right in that same area.
Also they don't always wear at the same rate because most people put a little more weight on one side or the other just by the nature of how they hold the saw normally.
When they wear at different rates you will start getting cuts that curve to one side or the other as the bar goes through the cut (most noticeable on deep cuts, as in bigger logs)
Most blades can be turned over so you can have a flat slide surface again when one side wears down.
Roller tip blades are great for added chain life as they cut way down on the friction where the chain is getting pulled against the bar as it rounds the tip.
This cuts chain and bar heat down a ton and extends chain and bar life both.

Safety tips.
1. Always have a working chain brake and USE IT!
Every time you stop cutting and are holding the saw running that chain brake better be on.
I have seen people trip and fall and accidentally pull the throttle from gripping the saw.
That chain brake kept the chain from spinning while them and the saw both landed on each other.
2. NEVER let the tip of the bar get deeper in a cut than where the motor is unless you know what you are doing for sure (I mentioned that already)
3. ALWAYS keep your head and as much of your upper body as reasonably possible to one side or the other of the center of the saw. (kind of like shooting a big gun that kicks hard)
IF something happens like the bar tip grabs another log and you don't notice it the bar can jump up.
You want it go past you on one side and not come up and hit you in the face.
Sounds gruesome, but it does happen although anti kickback chains tend to limit this these days.

Cutting with the top of the bar presents it's own dangers.
It can be done safely and easily, but you better know and be ready for it's own set of dangers.
For one, instead of the saw pulling into your log it will push back.
Having your RPM's up and being ready for the push back are key here.
Also on that note, chainsaws run upside down. :D

Hints:
We used to use 1 gallon of 30wt engine oil with a bottle of STP in it for chain oil.
It is better for the chain and bar than most chain oils and a lot cheaper.
You will probably never need that much but still, the idea is the same.

Most small saws these days use a gravity feed bar oiling system, and pulling the bar off and running a little gas through the oil tank keeps the oil passage open.
Gravity feed systems plug up easy and this keeps them clear.
A good way to tell if your chain is getting enough oil is to put the tip of the bar a couple of inches away from your log or whatever and rev it up.
You should see small splatters of oil slinging onto the surface from the tip of the bar where the chain rounds it.

Hope this helps keep you and your saw both in good condition.
BTW I used to use my Dad's saw when he wasn't using it. (60 inch bar and 14hp) :D

I don't think they even make saws that powerful any more. :D
very good info from some body that obviously knows wtf thay doing with a chainsaw!!

so, ive been doing some spring cleaning, including sectioning a few downed trees and ive noticed that when i cut branches that are less the 14 inches across (the width of the blade) i always put the branch right up to the body of the saw, to keep it from kicking up
should i cut with the whole length of the saw to keep it from dulling up ?
what do you guys think ?

I used to cut a lot of cord wood, And I never came up with this question.
I flip the blade over at the end of every day. And I have about a half a dozen chains, that I rotate.Every once in a while the dang saw wont cut straight any more, and then I straighten out the bar.
If the oiler quits it heats up the chain in a hurry, the chain gets longer, and it derails.
Shoot If I had to get a ladder every time I needed to limb a branch it would take me forever to cut my winter wood. Yeah I cut overhead with one hand and arm straight out, like an idiot, balancing on a log leaned up next to the main trunk, and with my eyes closed so they don't fill up with woodchips. lol.
I fill up the oiler everytime I fill up gas. It always lasts at least a tankful.
But as to the bar wearing out in one particular place, no I've never had it happen to me. I have seen it tho. I worked in a metric bike shop for a number of years. It just so happens they also sold Huskys, Jonsereds and Stihls . I sharpened a lot of chains and re-ground a lot of bars. Probably at least every saw in a 20 mile radius came to me at least once in those 20 years,lol. One town maintenance crew brought me their stuff once a week, all summer long. I fixed anything, they had.
I fixed saws,pumps,quads,packers,trowlers,generators,tillers,mowers, you name it.And motorcycles,quads,side-by-sides,golf-carts and snowmobiles too.
I made pretty good coin in those years.
Eventually I had to give up the little stuff, it was taking away too much time from the main line equipment. So I had to train a young punk. And another one. And another one.
Finally I said to the boss, You have got to let me work overtime, or these people are gonna find somewhere else to go, and fat-chance they'll come back. So finally With much back and forth arguing he said ok. Then I made even better coin. By the end of summer, 4 months later,I was almost caught up. That's how it went for many years. Go like heck from April to October. Then catch up til January, then winter projects til March, and then back into it.
And yeah, I was back into chainsaws and mowers and things,but I talked the boss into raising the rates on that little stuff, and the load decreased, and the quality of our customers and their products increased, and we actually got paid to work on that little stuff.
Ahhhhh,those were the good years.
When my wife tells me what to do, I say yes dear, maybe tomorrow. But for her, tomorrow rarely comes. Somewhere in the past 40 years she has learned to ask. I'm Ok with that.
Yesterday the family was over and we quietly celebrated our 40th.
What's all this got to do with the bar wearing funny?
Nothing.
My bar works same as it ever did, just needs a little grinding on now and then.

I used to cut a lot of cord wood, And I never came up with this question.
there has been some really good info posted here, but in the reason you probably never came up with the question i asked...well, look where i posted it

i was cutting downed trees when the question popped into my head, and i thought you guys would get a kick out of me asking it, as if though i was serious (which i wasnt)

still, thanks for the advise, like i said, ton of good info given

My neighbor couldnt figure out why his new saw couldnt cut 18 inch maple. I asked him about his chain. "Its new, the saw is 2 weeks old." Took him to the stihl dealer and he got an Oregon non safety chain. He claims his saw is twice as efficient now. "Why dont they just put these on at the factory?" I asked him if he ever heard of lawyers.

California chains. :D

-
Back