Question about changing 8-3/4 limited slip pumpkin

-

buck351

Reaction score
I want to change the pumpkin in my 8-3/4 limited slip rearend. I've never pull one. I assume all I have to do is, drain the rearend, pull the two axels, take the cirlcle of nuts/bolts off around the pumpkin and pull it out. Reverse order to reassemble. Right?

It doesn't seem real complicated and it would save me some money installing it myself. I'm planning on having someone go thru the one I'm putting back in before I install it.

pull axles
disconnect drive shaft
remove circle of nuts with a pan under to catch oil.
remove pumpkin, have something to catch it, it will be heavy.

If you are laying under the car its smash your fingers heavy.
i would guestimate around 75 lbs

75 pounds is correct. One other note: There is a bearing side thrust adjuster on the passenger side axle (the bearing retainer is threaded and can turn in or out). There is a small clip on one of the 5 axle retainer bolts that keeps the adjuster from spinning. DON'T LOSE IT! When you reinstall the axles (especially if you have installed a different center section) you will want to tighten down the adjuster to remove axle side play.
axleadjuster.jpg

75 pounds is correct. One other note: There is a bearing side thrust adjuster on the passenger side axle (the bearing retainer is threaded and can turn in or out). There is a small clip on one of the 5 axle retainer bolts that keeps the adjuster from spinning. DON'T LOSE IT! When you reinstall the axles (especially if you have installed a different center section) you will want to tighten down the adjuster to remove axle side play.
axleadjuster.jpg

Thanks for the FYI

Would a transmission jack work to remove install the pumpkin?

I used an empty cardboard box. it was just enough to keep the pumpkin from hitting the ground.

I used a regular floor jack to put it back in.

non LS pumpkins and lower gear ratio's are lighter.

It's a stinky job, but you can do it. Just follow the above instructions. Remember to add a bottle of friction enhancer when you refill.

x2 on floor jack.

Difficult to balance and push/pull, though.
VERY likely to fall off the jack.
The bigger the cup on the jack, the better.

Put it on your chest and bench press it. That's the way I did it in my younger days. LOL

That reminds me of the last time I did a clutch job on the GTS Dart in my 40's. I was on a creeper with my arms holding the 4-speed across my chest all alone. I was like that for 3-5 minutes thinking of how am I going to get this off me without hurting me or damaging the trans. As of then I quit doing clutches. Now if I had a lift and a trans jack, maybe.

If you have access to a lift, it would be way easier. I just installed my 8.75 carrier and when you're laying under a car that's on jackstands, you don't have a whole lot of room to muscle that carrier in. Plus, I held mine off to the side, I didn't want my head/face right underneath the carrier as I did this.

There was a time long ago that I used to do that with automatics.
It was a lot faster than a jack, but Isure can't do it anymore.[-(

Put it on your chest and bench press it. That's the way I did it in my younger days. LOL

I have always used a floor jack to do the 8 3/4 chunks. It isn't that bad. Just make sure you have the jack real close to the rearend so you don't have to roll it much to line up the studs with the chunk.

I just use my hands to remove and replace the thing, no need for jacks.

-
Back