Question about Steering Column

-

19 Again..

Reaction score
Well this is probably a dumb question however. As we all know it's a whole lot easier to tear some thing out then put it back. Well I took my dash all apart and now put it back. All I have to do is finish the steering column (lifting it back in place, it was down). As I started bolting it all back up, the 3 points where the column bolts to on the brace (the ones with the slotted holes). I can barely get them up to the begining of the slot. It was late last night and I really didn't feel like continuing on, but can't I pull on the wheel and it slide it forward some? I thought the steering shaft in the columns where 2 piece and would have some in and out movement. Or is the only movement I'm going to get from where the column mates to the steering box??

Can you get it high enough to engage a couple of threads? Make sure there is nothing (like wires or wiring loom) between the column and the mounting yoke, or hanging down under the dash and pushing on the column itself. Could be as simple as the shift linkage fighting you. The plastic spacers need to be fully seated in their slots in the mounting bracket.

My guess is the column has shifted slightly in the floor plate when you lowered it down and just needs more pressure to push it back up into position. Depending on how much you lowered it, you might need to loosen the bolts holding the floor plate to the floor and clamping the plate to the column, tightening and realigning after the yoke bolts are seated. When those floor plate mounting bolts are loose, I reach into the engine compartment and grab the end of the column to jiggle it up and down a little. It may not do anything, but I've always felt it helps seat things and insure nothing is binding.

110 inch pounds is the spec on the yoke bolts. Verify the washer in the left slot is contacting the ground clip before you torque the bolts down.

Using the steering wheel to assist you holding the column in position is fine, yanking in and out on it is not. Doing that could cause you to break the plastic pin holding the upper and lower shafts together or knock the lower bearing out of place. That is probably not something you want to do.

I'm sure glad you responded, my initial thoughts were to go out and just yank on the steering wheel..LOL!!! I had the lower bearing replaced last year when I had some front end work done. The thing that puzzled me when I took it apart a three months ago was the plastic spacers. When I took the bolts out of the yoke, I noticed the plastic spacers were between the yoke and the column mount not in the groove as you mentioned. (red flag should have been flying at that moment) Anyways I have the 1973 full parts book from Chrysler and as I was looking at it last night I noticed those spacers in the grooves. (thats when the red flag went to full mast). So you have answered my questions and calmed my fears! LOL!! I did loosen all the bolts on the floor plate and the two on the collar. Now I think I will go about it as you mentioned as see if all will go back together as it should to begin with...

Thank You for taking the time to answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back