question about switching gears?

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
Was talkin' to a guy... he says a 3.10 gear sucks for my demon set-up and he says i'll want like a 3.50 or a 3.90....now...i asked him if i could do a swap from a 3.10 to a 3.50 by just switching the ring and pinion, thinkin' it'd just be a swap and go...he said it has to be balanced, blah,blah,blah...is this all true?

Never heard the balancing thing before. If we are talking an 8 3/4 you can use the same carrier for all of the gear ratios. But since I have not heard of a 3.10 gear in a mopar what rear do you have? I have seen your posts on the different rearends.
You can't just "bolt" in a new ring and pinion. The first and most important would be the pinion depth. If you don't get this right then the other required things just will be a moot point.

i was asking about the 9"...i'd like info on the 9" and the 8 3/4... he said that replacing the ring and pinion requires certain tools and they have to be aligned and balanced and crap...i just thought it was a simple switch

now that he's said this, i'm questioning not getting the ford...he said that 3.10 will kill my low and and i won't even be ablle to burn out....i'm wanting a good street strip mtor, he said a 3.50 (ford)...or 3.55(mopar) is the one i want..but he said it would cost less to just buy one complete the way i want it..but that'll take forever to get right size and gearing etc etc

my opinion is for a street driven car with auto a 3.91 will burn the tires off the thing and still be able to run 80 on the hiway with out any problem.Never did like 3:23 or 3:55 for a performance car gearing ...more like something a salesman would want ....LOL Gas mileage will drop about 2-4 miles agallon (depending on how hard you drive it ). It will cost you more to convert the 9" Ferd and set up the gears than to buy the gears for the 8 3/4 and paying someone to set them up for you (assuming you already have the 83/4 )

Willy,get a nother pig set up with 3.73 posi and gears and swap them in and have the other set as a spare.A 3.08 will kill a 340,as this motor is made to rev and needs gears and tall tires to work.Find a nother carrier and get a new set of gears and get it put together,Mrmopartech

-
Back