Question about the 7 1/4 rear end.

-

Red's '72 Dart

Reaction score
Hello all! Merry Christmas!

Can I remove the spider gear on the 7 1/4 rear end, without removing the carrier, or axles?
Thanks for any input.
Red '72

Hello all! Merry Christmas!

Can I remove the spider gear on the 7 1/4 rear end, without removing the carrier, or axles?
Thanks for any input.
Red '72
You'll have to at least remove the axles. Why are you wanting to remove the spider gear?

You'll have to at least remove the axles. Why are you wanting to remove the spider gear?
Just wondering if it would be a good idea to replace them. No noise, just unknown mileage. Ring gear looks great.

20170110_121235.jpg

20170110_121227.jpg

Last edited:
If the crosspin is held in with a bolt, and the crosspin comes past the ring gear, then they will roll right out. Actually, they have to.
You can't even take the axles out until the crosspin is out of the way.
And you can't take the carrier out until the axles are out.

All the power of the engine has to go thru the crosspin to get to those spiders to get to the sidegears to get to the axles. If you replace the spiders it is best practice to also replace the sidegears and pin. If used then you transfer all 5 pieces as a set.

Last edited:
If the crosspin is held in with a bolt, and the crosspin comes past the ring gear, then they will roll right out. Actually, they have to.

All the power of the engine has to go thru the crosspin to get to those spiders to get to the sidegears to get to the axles. If you replace the spiders it is best practice to also replace the sidegears and pin. If used then you transfer all 5 pieces as a set.
I was looking at a kit with all five pieces and washers.

No, the 7.25 is not a C Clip rear. Axles bolt in like an 8.75

No noise?

Fill it back up and leave it alone.
But if you would like to start with a fresh stronger setup, I have a ready to go 7 1/4 sure grip I'd sell you.

No kiddin. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-
Back