Question for 4 speed guys

-

BARRACUDA340S

Reaction score
Just taking a poll as to what you guys are running in your 4 speeds for oil?

I tried some synthetic and I can't shift as fast as I used to. I was told it's to slippery for the synchro's.

What in your opinion is the best.

Not in a race car.

I use 90W Dino oil. No Synthetic in my car at all.

The factory recommenced fill is ATF. That being said I tried synthetic gear oil (Mobil 1) and couldn't shift the car at all without crunching the syncros. I went back to ATF.

This past spring after following several threads on this subject I switched to Penzoil Syncromesh Fluid. This stuff is specifically designed for manual trannies and is compatible with all types of syncros.

It made a very dramatic improvement in the quality of the shifting. The tranny shifts quicker, smoother and with less effort than it did with ATF.

I like the Royal Purple Synchromax, but it is expensive. I'd have bought the Pennzoil stuff Dave mentioned if I could find it around here.

The temperatures and application you run in are a big factor to consider in your choice of lube for the A8333. In a competition-only environment in hot weather I'd probably choose a heavier synthetic gear oil like Syntorq or Amsoil MTG.

A lighter synchromesh fluid is best for all-around/all-weather street driving.

I don't race the car anymore so it's just street duty.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Redline products from Harley guy's quieting down their trannys etc.

Whatever I use needs to let me grab 3 gears in about 5 seconds on the street if I mash it under 15 mph or I just have to pedal the throttle to keep it under 7000 rpm.

I hate to shift thinking it's in gear and it's not. Thats hard on sh&t. LOL

I will check out this penzoil, I can probably get that local?

you can use synthetic gear oil but it has to be GL-4, not GL-5 like you probably used

Beilieve it or not, Autozone is about the only one of a dozen or so local places I get parts that I DO NOT patronize. The staff at the one in Longmont here nearest to me is so brain dead and slow I cannot stand to even go in there.

-
Back