Question for those who have converted from 2 to 3 speed wipers

-

69GT

Reaction score
I've got a 3-speed wiper assembly (motor, arms, switch) from a 72 Dart I picked up years ago and was thinking about replacing the 2-speed wipers in my 69 Dart with it. My question is regarding the switch and dash harness plug. Will I have to get the under dash wiring from a 3-speed wiper car to plug on to the 3 speed switch I have or will the 2-speed switch plug fit on it and work properly?

I always have to stumble through this stuff. My advice is look in the shop manual and if you have to draw out the diagram. Also read the test section in section 8 on wipers. I would "bet" the harness is significantly different between the two.

Harnesses on 69 were wired for all 3. 2 speed, V speed, 3 speed. I dealt with this on my sons car wiring 69 barracuda.

The 2 speed used a foot operated washer pump. Its wiper motor setup has it's own unique sub harness that plugs into the firewall.

Since I have M&H harnesses and one toasted oem engine compartment harness. The OEM engine side harness has a brown wire taped in for the electric washer pump. You would have to add the 1 extra wire on the bulkhead connector that goes from the firewall to the switch to install the electric washer with a 3 speed switch. My OEM dash harness shows that 1 brown wire added in and taped over the made up dash harness. The 3 speed switch has a push in to wash function. This eliminates the foot pedal pump washer.

If you want to keep the manual foot pedal washer, just plug in the 3 speed switch, and 3 speed wiper motor and go. The plug in the dash wiring fits all 3 different switches. The pin out on the switches changed from time to time. Be sure your getting one that's compatible PN# wise with your year.

Hope this helps
Matt

I do want to switch to an electric washer. My original thought was to add an electric washer jar and pump (which I have) and keep the 2-speed wiper motor since I have already refurbished it but I couldn't find any info. on if it was possible or not to have 2-speed wipers with an electric washer set-up on a 69 Dart. The three speed motor I have does have the long brown wire coming from the bulkhead plug on it that goes to the washer pump. I just wasn't sure what to do about the dash switch.

All you need is packard 56 terminals for 14/16 gage, some brown hookup wire, and pin it on both sides of the bulkhead, then run the extra lead for the dash mounted switch. The 3 speed switch provides power to the washer motor. The washer motor grounds to the inner fender. In 69 the just stuck a caplug in the hole in the firewall if you had electric washer.

I can make up these wires with correct length and correct ends new, along with which cavities they need to be pinned to. Look for a female single connector looped in with your engine harness on the drivers side about where the washer bottle is. Most 69 harnesses this wire is just serviced in.

The dash harness on the other hand does not have the wire from the bulkhead to the wiper switch unless car was ordered that way. If your engine harness has the wire wrapped in with it, you only need to add the dash wire. Its about 2&1/2 to 3 foot long.

Find out if you have the engine side wire for the pump.

Send me a PM
Matt

I do want to switch to an electric washer. My original thought was to add an electric washer jar and pump (which I have) and keep the 2-speed wiper motor since I have already refurbished it but I couldn't find any info. on if it was possible or not to have 2-speed wipers with an electric washer set-up on a 69 Dart. The three speed motor I have does have the long brown wire coming from the bulkhead plug on it that goes to the washer pump. I just wasn't sure what to do about the dash switch.
Nope on the 69 having electric washer and 2 speed switch. The switch isnt set up to have wash function. I am going to run a 2 speed in my sons car, but with electric wash, and modded the foot pump bracket for a momentary contact switch.

what you really need to do is convince Moparmatt2000 to convert your manual foot pump to an electric momentary switch! He did mine and it is a great set up. No need to reach to the dash for washer when your wipers are running, just hit the switch with your foot! Thanks again Matt!!!

what you really need to do is convince Moparmatt2000 to convert your manual foot pump to an electric momentary switch! He did mine and it is a great set up. No need to reach to the dash for washer when your wipers are running, just hit the switch with your foot! Thanks again Matt!!!
Glad it worked out for you. Was it pretty much plug n play like I wired it to be?

-
Back