Question on 302 heads for a 318

-
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of 1988 302 heads for my stock rebuilt 1969 318 in hopes if getting a little more compression and proformance. The heads I picked up did not have any hardware (lifters, rocker arm shafts, rocker arms, valves, ect...) on them and im not to sure what replacement parts to get such as springs rocker arms do I stay with stock valves or do I send the heads to the machine shop to get bigger valves put in?? Any help on this would be great.

THANKS

All stock material/parts should be easy to get and just simpley use stock stuff. I would not put in bigger valves unless you have a fairly large street cam in it. If you wanted to "Sneak" in parts, the I would only use a larger 1.60 exhaust valve in the head.

Yes, except now I'd add a 1.88 intake valve with the 1.60 exhaust.

(NOTE* 340 valve springs should be used and are available new. They are considered stock parts though not for a stock 318 cam.

I think what Rumble said in regard to valve sizes is good. For everything else but valve springs, stock is fine. For springs, I'd run something like Comp Cams 901-16s. They will work with more aggressive cams if you feel the need to cam up later. Also, you may want to have them milled. The '60s 318s had slightly smaller chambers than the 302s typically came with.

but getting back to the heads. What kind or rocker arms should I run? Stock or Roller? I found a roller kit online at Kragen Auto Parts for all the rockers and rocker shafts. Is that something I might want to look into or just keep everything stock?

If you get the Mopar Performance 340 replacment camshaft, it will come as a kit with new lifters. I highly recommend THAT EXACT camshaft. It's a goodun. All the others that try to immitate it are just that. Immitations. They have either less lift, or less duratiuon at .050" or are ground on the wrong lobe centers. It's a great cam just like it is. Oh, and stock rockers will work great.

If you get the Mopar Performance 340 replacment camshaft, it will come as a kit with new lifters. I highly recommend THAT EXACT camshaft. It's a goodun. All the others that try to immitate it are just that. Immitations. They have either less lift, or less duratiuon at .050" or are ground on the wrong lobe centers. It's a great cam just like it is. Oh, and stock rockers will work great.

Do you knwo the mopar proformance part # for the camshaft and lifters?

Might want to check the size of the chambers. They swirched to open chambers, but if memory serves, the 318 open heads until '71 were still only around 65ccs as opposed to the 340 70+. 302s tend to cc around 63-4. Least the few I checked did.

is there a specfic year 340 or any Mopar 340 springs would work? Should i get roller rocker arms or stay stock?
All 340's use the same springs, IIRC.

do you guys think i shoud get new pushrods and lifters?
Lifters come with the new cam in most cases. Yes! Would be the answer!
Hold off on pushrods. Reuse what you can.

just NEW stock lifters ?
Yes.

but getting back to the heads. What kind or rocker arms should I run? Stock or Roller? I found a roller kit online at Kragen Auto Parts for all the rockers and rocker shafts. Is that something I might want to look into or just keep everything stock?
Nothing wrong with stock units. Roller start n the area of $400 and may require cutom rods.

Do you knwo the mopar proformance part # for the camshaft and lifters?
In the MoPar performance catologs and performance books (Or anybody else's, they list the part numbers for purchase.

After reveiw al the questions you have posted since I left. I'm going to take a stab on something abd say your a newbie to engines and stuff. You need to do 2 things in my opinion so take this as advice for the better.

1. Grab a few books. I do think so very much that after reading "How to rebuild your small block MoPar engine" you will be very much more informed and enlightened with a good sense of understanding just how things are going to go and why they should take a certain direction.

This is a very good book to start with. After that, if you so desire to get into hot rodding, the "How to hot rod your small block MoPar" is also excellent followed by books from Chrysler/MoPar. The engines and chassis books are excellent as well.

2. Grab a local gear head/mechanic willing to help show you through the ropes and/or mentor you in the process.

Stick around some, read up here on the forum. We'll try and help ya through what we can. Theres a great bunch here.

I have 72 318 heads that were just freshened up with new springs seal they have about 2500 miles on them will give it all up plus a mild summit 318 cam for 100 bucks and the ride would prefere local pickup.

I have 72 318 heads that were just freshened up with new springs seal they have about 2500 miles on them will give it all up plus a mild summit 318 cam for 100 bucks and the ride would prefere local pickup.

What???
There is a section for buying and selling stuff.

Might want to check the size of the chambers. They swirched to open chambers, but if memory serves, the 318 open heads until '71 were still only around 65ccs as opposed to the 340 70+. 302s tend to cc around 63-4. Least the few I checked did.

If thats true then you may not get much more compression unless you mill the head or use a thin head gagket. But you will also gain hardened valve seats and a fast burn conbustion chamber with quench.:happy10:

Mind you the best way to do a quench motor is zero deck with .034 or so quench. It makes for a very crisp sounding motor imho. They will still work without doing this,just not as efficiently.

-
Back