Question on adjusting dual quad carbs.

-

R68DartGT

Reaction score
Looking for advice on tuning edelbrock dual quad carbs.Also not sure of the procedure on how to adjust idle mixture screws on dual quad. Balancing, etc. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

You need a Edelbrock unisync and some kind of carb cover to make a tool to make sure the carbs are timed up correctly.

Amazon.com

And one of these:Amazon.com

You have to make the hole in the carb cover bigger and then glue the unisync to the cover.

Get the engine running and disconnect the linkage from one carb. You can’t have the two carbs hooked together by the linkage.

Get the idle speed where you want it.

Pick a carb (I usually set the front carb but either one works) and set the unisync on the carb. You’ll feel the hat get sucked down.

Read the manometer on the unisync. I usually set the gauge in the middle. There is a built in valve on the unisync that you can open and close to get the manometer centered.

Once you get a clean reading on the manometer pull it off and set it on the other carb and read the manometer.

If the readings don’t match, and unless you have the Midas touch they won’t match then adjust the second carb to read the same as the first carb.

And you do that by adjusting the curb idle screw.

It’s very difficult to get both carbs equally open or a better way to say it is get both carbs flowing the same air at idle regardless of where the curb idle screws are at.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated. Should the idle mixture screws be a
djusted first and then curb idle screws? If so what procedure would you recommend for doing this. Thanks again!!

As Newbomb says, it's tough to get them right on the money. It's a balancing act, no matter what you do but you can get them very close.

Thank you for the information. It is appreciated. Should the idle mixture screws be a
djusted first and then curb idle screws? If so what procedure would you recommend for doing this. Thanks again!!

Yes. I should have said that but I forgot lol

Are you going to run a progressive linkage.......or 1:1?

Thanks Troy, I was never successful getting the DQ and Eddys set up properly. I was in a rush, and wanted to get moving on the 340 build, so I pulled the setup off the 273 and shelved it for later on.
@str12-340 Mike was a big help with the progress I made. I enjoyed making the diy progressive linkage, but I didn't have much success with entire setup. I will revisit once 273 is rebuilt and on stand.
Here's my thread, might be some helpful info??
Dual quad info

I think it’s rediculous for US to hold that grudge for 60years .
Apparently the tactic hasn’t worked. We might be better off letting them develop with our tourist money and get a taste of the good life . That being said I really don’t know much about the situation under Raul vs Fidel . So sad… it was such a vibrant country in the 50s.

-
Back