Question on locations

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Well I got to the point on my restoration where I began to do the engine bay wiring. I got it all hooked up except for 2 things.

1) Where is the low oil pressure switch? Is it on the instrument panel? What does it look like?

2) Where is the temp gauge sending unit? the temp gauge on the instrument panel?

3) neutral saftey switch? back up lamp switch?

4) Is there a positive or negative side to the ignition ballast resistor? or is that determined with where I plug in the cables that go to the resistor?

1) Where is the low oil pressure switch? Is it on the instrument panel? What does it look like?

The switch is located on the back of the engine block. The low oil pressure light or oil pressure gauge is in the instrument panel.

2) Where is the temp gauge sending unit? the temp gauge on the instrument panel?

The temp gauge sending unit should be on the water pump housing and the gauge should be on the instrument panel.

3) neutral saftey switch? back up lamp switch?

Neutral safety switch is on the transmission. I'm not sure on the back up lamp switch location.

4) Is there a positive or negative side to the ignition ballast resistor? or is that determined with where I plug in the cables that go to the resistor?

Resistor does not matter which end is hooked to which.

The back up/reverse switch is built in the neutral safety switch on an auto trans.

Wow, I am amazed you guys can answer his questions without him even bothering to tell us anything about the year, model, and engine. About half the questions depend on that. Most can be answered by looking at the electrical schematic, and one can find many links to different years here.

Let me clear that up...

68 dodge dart, (1970) 318, A883, edelbrock performer intake manifold, aftermarket water pump.

I see the low oil pressure switch on the back of the block, I'm not gonna lie though, and I know it's stupid but... How do I connect the electrical wire to it? On the top or something?

As for the temp sending unit, I uploaded a pic of the one I bought, I read you can screw it into one of the little ports on the performer manifold?

Thanks for the help in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 131
If i'm not mistaken thats a 318/360. On my 360 the temp sending is located on the intake, left side facing the motor between the first 2 bolts. looks like there is a plug in your motor. But I have been wrong before.

Look at the thermostat housing on the top of the engine. I cannot tell from that photo, but there's at least three tappings into that water cavity.

Front one, of course, is for the bypass hose.

One on the pass side for heater. One on driver side can be used for temp sender. If wrong size, you'll need a pipe bushing.

Make certain that sender is listed for the CAR BODY, IE model and year of car it's used in, regardless of what the engine is out of.

On both the oil and water senders, if they are the proper replacement senders, and if you have the original wiring harnes, they will hook right up.

The temp normally has a little rubber boot (violet color wire) that pushes on the top

The oil is normally grey, and usually the oil sender is a little flat button which the wire end slides onto.

-
Back