Question on Lokar kickdown to 904 trans?

-

zig

Reaction score
Ok, I've got a 340/904 combo in my 74 Duster. The throttle cable is hooked up. I installed a cheetah shifter that seems operational. I am trying to now hook up the kickdown cable. Up top, straight forward. Down below, not so much...

So I've got the shifter bracket hooked direct to the trans. I am trying to install the factory kickdown bracket. It seems to go, but once installed the piece from the trans has some play. I can move the kickdown bracket 1/4". So I thought maybe the cable just needs to hold it tight.. The next issue is the threaded rod that holds the cable to the kickdown bracket interferes with the shifter bracket...

This is not working to be as straight forward as it should be...

Any points on how to hook the kickdown cable to the trans? I already took a bolt out of the tail housing and loosely mounted the bracket. Something doesn't seem right on the install... maybe it is normal...

The car hasn't been started yet, was hoping to install the kickdown, then exhaust...

The 1/4" of play is normal. When the car is running hydraulic pressure will take up some of that play and the factory linkage had a spring up top that pulled it forward to take out the remaining play. Some guys install a spring down below to pull the linkage forward to take out the play. I never worry about it and it always works fine for me. Since the kickdown bracket is on top of the shift lever there's generally plenty of room. You must have the ball installed hanging down on the kickdown bracket cause all I've done have cleared fine. Or maybe the kickdown bracket is bent downwards??

it the cheetha shifter a manul conversion if so no kick down required (had to ask cuse i just saw this done on a car.)

it the cheetha shifter a manul conversion if so no kick down required (had to ask cuse i just saw this done on a car.)

The only way you don't need to run a kickdown is if you install a manual valve body. The shifter has nothing at all to do with using a kickdown or not. If you eliminate the kickdown on a trans. that needs it (stock valve bodies) you'll trash the trans. real fast.

Thanks for the response. I did get it hooked up with the stock bracket. It seems ok. I'm sure it will need some adjustment once I first drive it. Good to know about the pressure in the trans. I read about other people adding springs. i will have to look into that also.

Your welcome. And I wouldn't worry about adding a spring until you drive it and see how it does. Like I said, I have never had to add a spring to make one work right.

-
Back