Question on parts value

-

Jettech

Reaction score
You can ask whatever you want. If you get no responses or unfavorable responses you can always keep your sale thread alive by reducing the price.

Your ad is well written and has great descriptions with full disclosure of sale reasons. I think the price is fair for the quality of the parts you have listed. The lack of interest may be due to the limited number of people who want a full boogie motor like that nowadays. Also, the fact that ads get buried pages down on here pretty quickly because of new ads being posted and bumps. You can do like Mike suggested and drop the price by $1 every few days to keep it alive. There's a butt for every seat.....and the right one just hasn't found your seat, so hang in there!

:thumbsup:

Seems there is more traffic on Facebook these days, wish it wasn’t so. Most guys on FABO I would guess are 60’s years old and up. You have a 35 year old full on engine and technology has advanced since then. Flow #’s for the heads would help your sale.

Then again, there has to be someone out there, so I would just keep at it.

Thanks for the feedback. I may break down and create a facebook account if the stuff doesn't sale. Figure I'd more likely find someone who would put this stuff to good use on here.

Gen 3 hemi is a drop in 250-340 CFM head motor. Hard to bet and cheap. Its just evolution. Good luck on the sale, W stuff usually sells but I cant quote prices.

Pretty limited crowd for that stuff these days. Buy an assembled Blue Print engine with a three year warranty for a little more.

If you get no responses or unfavorable responses you can always keep your sale thread alive by reducing the price
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a bump only alert those who have read or commented on a post.

It does not put it back on the home page?

The parts that you offer are very specialized and probably worth what you ask or more to the right buyer. Most folks here are working on cars that they drive, or a restored car that they show, for even occasional racers this is more than they need. You might look at advertising on a more racer oriented site to get more eyes on it. You might talk to folks at a Mopar oriented machine shop to help find a buyer and give them a finders fee or a percentage of what you sell for.

Specialized parts and not a lot of people have money to throw at hobbies right now. I think it's a good deal, personally. But look at it this way. As @pishta said in post #6, the gen3 Hemi is a formidable engine. What could someone do with one with 5K? A good bit. Putting it on marketplace will widen your scope of potential customers but also for psycho scammers. Your buyer pool is pretty narrow, so it's not gonna sell overnight unless "just the right" person sees it. I will ask this. Do you have EVERY NUT AND BOLT to make the heads usable? I did tag a friend local to me who I thought might have some interest.

I would appreciate some thoughts on pricing or value of the parts and why there does not seem to be any interest. What am I missing?
There are some strict rules on the forum that make it hard to just ask the members what a fair value is for something that you want to sell. I understand the reasons for them but the situation isn't ideal.
The absolute ONLY thing good about the Moparts site is their sub forum of WIW topics. What's It Worth. That forum is specifically for people to ask a value of something that they are selling or to assess the value of something that someone else has for sale. For that site, it works. I would LOVE to see something like that here and at FBBO.
I hate to over-price something and look like a delusional greedy jerk but I also don't like the idea of selling stuff too cheap where the buyer then relists it for double and sells it.

i'll echo what others have said upthread. yeah, it's a bitchin' collection of genuine johnny kickass parts but the potential customer pool for that is tiny and the actual buyers want a fire sale kinda deal.

stuff not being assembled and having sat for so long could be a turn off for a lot of folks.

it's also a big chunk of change right as we swing into tax season.

personally i'd stand pat on the price for awhile and if nothing's doin' then i'd start shaving down the number or piece out the group. sometimes you'll get somebody that needs just a block or just the heads and doesn't want to drop the coin on the whole shebang.

A lot of good points being made in the replies. Thank you for the perspective.

This states my position exactly: "I hate to over-price something and look like a delusional greedy jerk but I also don't like the idea of selling stuff too cheap where the buyer then relists it for double and sells it."

Specialized parts and not a lot of people have money to throw at hobbies right now. I think it's a good deal, personally. But look at it this way. As @pishta said in post #6, the gen3 Hemi is a formidable engine. What could someone do with one with 5K? A good bit. Putting it on marketplace will widen your scope of potential customers but also for psycho scammers. Your buyer pool is pretty narrow, so it's not gonna sell overnight unless "just the right" person sees it. I will ask this. Do you have EVERY NUT AND BOLT to make the heads usable? I did tag a friend local to me who I thought might have some interest.

I do not have retainers or exhaust valves; as stated in the post one of the intake valves has an abrasion that I would want cleaned up / smoothed out before use. Otherwise I believe everything is there. If someone is seriously interested we can do a facetime or other video chat and I'll go through all the parts and answer questions.

Remember you only need one buyer...
Don't sell it cheap if you're going to be kicking yourself every time you think about it down the road
How long have you already held onto this stuff?
An ideal buyer would be someone restoring a race car to as raced condition from the era when W-5 stuff was THE hot ticket.

I posted some 340 engine components (W5 heads, rods, pistons, block, etc.) for sale at a price that I thought would be a good deal and sell quickly. I would appreciate some thoughts on pricing or value of the parts and why there does not seem to be any interest. What am I missing?

Link to parts sale post: [FOR SALE] - Aluminum rod/W5 340 engine components w/904 transmission & converter

--r

I find that the new generation coming along is not interested in a lot of things so it may take some time to find the right person and it only takes one

I posted some 340 engine components (W5 heads, rods, pistons, block, etc.) for sale at a price that I thought would be a good deal and sell quickly. I would appreciate some thoughts on pricing or value of the parts and why there does not seem to be any interest. What am I missing?

Link to parts sale post: [FOR SALE] - Aluminum rod/W5 340 engine components w/904 transmission & converter

--r

A very good and reasonably descriptive ad. Flow numbers for the heads would be a good addition and if you’re willing to separate items. $5500 is a lot to cough up in one shot as well as the entire package. Few people want “YOUR” package but may want select parts for there package. The more information you have along with willing to sell just the individual parts not just a whole package can help move the parts.

Cylinder heads can be priced by there cfm flow rates as this makes it easy to compare against other heads and there prices. If the cylinder heads flow only as well as a ported Edelbrock and are more money than a ported set, guess where there going…
Yup, Edelbrock.

GLWS, best of luck.

-
Back