Question on passenger stop light circuit

-

Ivan Baez

426 SB daily driver
Reaction score
Hi, I was checking my car on the weekend and noticed the passenger light does not work when the brake pedal is pressed.

The turn lights work on both sides

When I activate the hazzard lights only the driver side works.

I read some threads about this kind of issues and removed the kick panel and checked there, when the brake is oressed only one wire has 12v, meaning the connector does not have an issue, the problem seems to be upstream in the wiring

The brake switch is new, and does work because the driver stop light works fine when the pedal is pressed.

It seems the only thing I have left to check is the turn signal switch, how is that one checked?, does anyone has pictures on how it should look like and what wires should have voltage when the brake pedal is pressed?, how is the switch removed?. I read it needs to be centered, but centered in relationship to what?.

In case the validation turns that there is an issue with the switch, what is a reliable source to get a new one?. I read many people who gets new ones turn out to have defective new switches.

Thanks in advance for the info

Have you made sure the light socket is well grounded. You can run a test ground. Very common.

Have you checked the bulb if good and socket for 12v & ground?

A bad T/S is a common problem. Both brake lights must go through the T/S switch. While stepping on the brake pedal, try wiggling the T/S lever and see if it comes on.

Have you made sure the light socket is well grounded. You can run a test ground. Very common.
Hi, yes, I checked the gound by adding a ground wire manuall to see if that was the issue but the problem persisted.

I have the socket, so I put a bulb in there to test. but forgot to mention that I have digilights installed, not a bulb anymore (original bulb socket is till hanging there). The wiring on both of the digilights is soldered to the same lines, I checked that and resoldered them even, including ground, just to make sure all connections had good connection.

The running light works fine, as does also the turn signal in the passenger side. Only when I push the brake it does not light up. On the other side all works fine (running + brake + turn)

Have you checked the bulb if good and socket for 12v & ground?

Hi, yes, I checked the gound by adding a ground wire manuall to see if that was the issue but the problem persisted.

I have digilights installed, not a bulb anymore (original bulb socket is till hanging there and I put a bulb there to check, but no change either). The wiring on both of the digilights is soldered to the same lines, I checked that and resoldered them even, including ground (the digilights have a separate, dedicated line that is the same signal for both sides), just to make sure all connections had good connection.

The running light works fine, as does also the turn signal in the passenger side. Only when I push the brake it does not light up. On the other side all works fine (running + brake + turn)

Last edited:
A bad T/S is a common problem. Both brake lights must go through the T/S switch. While stepping on the brake pedal, try wiggling the T/S lever and see if it comes on.
do you have more info in the T/S switch diagnose, removal and install. As well as the source of the best quality T/S switches available?

I read that the break signal also goes through the lights switch, is this so?, could I check something in there?.

For what I saw with the multimiter there was only one line with 12V when I step on the brake at the connector behind the kick panel, at that location there should be already 2 lines with 12V, or the brake signal is split after that connector?

thanks for your support.

-
Back