Question on side molding '70 Duster 340

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
Hey fellas, long time no see !! I sold my car to my youngest brother a couple years ago, and I'm trying to give him a hand restoring her...

The build sheet lists "stripe delete" and when I bought the car in 1978 it had a vinyl molding down both sides and a striped across the rear between the tail lights..

It sure appeared the molding was on it from the factory as most of the paint was original when I bought the car..

I've only seen pictures of a couple with it, and trying to verify that it's correct, and if anyone has a source for new ones.. Old ones were taken off many moons ago...

Thanks in advance fellas, and hope all is well !!!

Ken

My 1970 Duster was stripe delete but had no side molding on it when my brother got it in 1975. From what I've read, side and rear stripes were standard on the Duster 340 in 1970. The side stripe delete was an option that came with the molding instead.
Sorry I don't know of where to get new molding. Maybe somebody can help you out.

My 1970 Duster was stripe delete but had no side molding on it when my brother got it in 1975. From what I've read, side and rear stripes were standard on the Duster 340 in 1970. The side stripe delete was an option that came with the molding instead.
Sorry I don't know of where to get new molding. Maybe somebody can help you out.

Thanks, I think we may be on the right track.. Sure wish I kept a piece of that molding.. I can still remember removing it and scraping off the decal on the back when I started doing body work on it way back when...

I bought a 1970 340 duster off the showroom floor that had stripe delete and side moulding. It was an oddly optioned car in that it had a two tone paint job with black on top roof with the vinyl top trim and orange body. It was ordered with the deluxe steering wheel which included a factory tach. It had a 3 speed on floor with 3.91 sure grip. Last it had a go wing and white wall tires. So yes they did come with side moulding but I expect it was rare.

I bought a 1970 340 duster off the showroom floor that had stripe delete and side moulding. It was an oddly optioned car in that it had a two tone paint job with black on top roof with the vinyl top trim and orange body. It was ordered with the deluxe steering wheel which included a factory tach. It had a 3 speed on floor with 3.91 sure grip. Last it had a go wing and white wall tires. So yes they did come with side moulding but I expect it was rare.

Awesome, thanks for the info !! Wow, you had a real rare one!! I've seen pictures of a vitamin C one with the black vinyl top and side molding but had no way to verify if it was OEM.. I think the side molding is the classiest look going for the 70.. I'm not a fan of the striping.. I had a '71 in violet Duster 340 when I was a kid with the go wing, white striping, 4 speed with the checkered interior... Stock motor was a pig, so when I blew it up I found a 340 from a '68 cuda and she was a rocket ship !!

I was 18yrs old at the time and did not realize what I had. Would give my right nut to have it back.

I was 18yrs old at the time and did not realize what I had. Would give my right nut to have it back.

LOL.. That's why I hung on to my white Duster so long.. I was 21 in 1978 when I bought it, and just sold it to my brother a few years ago... I miss it, but glad it's still in the family and I'm pretty confidant he's going to do the car justice.. He already went through the motor and painted the engine compartment.. I probably would have resto modded it if I kept it.. I'm a big fan of the modern day hemis.. Love my '06 Charger SRT8

Awesome, thanks for the info !! Wow, you had a real rare one!! I've seen pictures of a vitamin C one with the black vinyl top and side molding but had no way to verify if it was OEM.. I think the side molding is the classiest look going for the 70.. I'm not a fan of the striping.. I had a '71 in violet Duster 340 when I was a kid with the go wing, white striping, 4 speed with the checkered interior... Stock motor was a pig, so when I blew it up I found a 340 from a '68 cuda and she was a rocket ship !!

I forgot to mention if anyone is confused on the stripes that the car did have the stripes on the rear taillight section with the 340 logo. It also had the 340 logo on the front fenders.

LOL.. That's why I hung on to my white Duster so long.. I was 21 in 1978 when I bought it, and just sold it to my brother a few years ago... I miss it, but glad it's still in the family and I'm pretty confidant he's going to do the car justice.. He already went through the motor and painted the engine compartment.. I probably would have resto modded it if I kept it.. I'm a big fan of the modern day hemis.. Love my '06 Charger SRT8

I am now reliving my youth with a 71 demon 340 that I love and still am pinching myself in disbelief that I have such a cool car.

I can imagine finding those moldings will be extreemly difficult... where in connecticut are you located? just curious.

I am now reliving my youth with a 71 demon 340 that I love and still am pinching myself in disbelief that I have such a cool car.

My older brother had a '71 Demon with 3.91's back when I had my '71 Duster, which had 3.23's... We used to have some good races with him killing me of the line and me blowing by him on the top side !! Demons are cool !!

I can imagine finding those moldings will be extreemly difficult... where in connecticut are you located? just curious.

Torrington

Hmmm, all the information in this thread makes me think that my 71 Duster 340 was stripe delete. I have the stripe on the tail panel and there are 340 decals on the fenders but no side striping or side moulding. The paint seems to be original and I can't see any evidence of stripes being on the sides of the car. The fender tag calls for side stripes and tail panel striping but I don't have a build sheet to verify how it left the factory.

Torrington !! wow you are pretty close to me (Canaan), I'm in Torrington all the time. When do the Mc'donalds cruise nites start on friday nites?

Hmmm, all the information in this thread makes me think that my 71 Duster 340 was stripe delete. I have the stripe on the tail panel and there are 340 decals on the fenders but no side striping or side moulding. The paint seems to be original and I can't see any evidence of stripes being on the sides of the car. The fender tag calls for side stripes and tail panel striping but I don't have a build sheet to verify how it left the factory.

Possibly the original owner may have removed them when new and there's no evidence of them being there? Here's a picture I found, not sure if it's a 340 car, I think it's a 318 car, but it has the rear stripe and side molding..

Torrington !! wow you are pretty close to me (Canaan), I'm in Torrington all the time. When do the Mc'donalds cruise nites start on friday nites?

We're in Canaan every day picking up milk.. I'm not sure about the cruises, I'll have to ask my son.. Nice job on your Duster btw, I just had a chance to look at some of your threads !!

Here's another one I found.. I love the stance and overall look of this car.. I'm now convinced that my old car came through just like this, only Alpine White..

Would they be the same moldings as a Dart of the same year?

This is a set I almost bought, but I finally found the single missing piece and bought that instead, right here on FABO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=161013055857

Mark

Thanks Mark, those look a little different... My brother has a picture with the moldings on that I took back in the late 70's.. I need to find it and blow it up to study the molding detail... I'm kinda doubting there's any NOS out there..

-
Back