QUESTION RE: -- 318

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
I have a 318 with the following number stamped on the driver side of the block -- 4104230-318-15. - It is painted orange - I assume since new. -- Some reference listings indicate that it is a "Race Motor" based on the number, and orange paint, and other listings indicate that it is a "Police Car Motor", based on the orange paint. -- Is this motor different, in any way, than a Red or other colored 318 ? -- Any info out there ?

That's what my book tells me too although I have never heard of such a thing. Hopefully more info will surface.

I'd be very tempted to pull a head off and see what it has for pistons and check the cam lift at the lifter.

The 15 at the end is the number of different castings that particular block number has been through.

What you have is more than likely a trick block from the early 80s. Look on the front passenger side of the engine for a large X cast into it above where the oil dip stick should be.
Also the X blocks came without the dipstick hole being machined out for the dipstick. My X block got that done at some point in its life. My casting number is the same, but without the big cast C I think you just have a truck block, although some came with flat top pistons I think.

Apparently nothing special. - Possibly from a Police Car (Orange Paint) -- Thanks Guys.

-
Back