Question - Re 8-3/4" Axle Seals

-

RPMagoo

Just An Old Motorhead
Reaction score
Are there 2 different seals, for axles, on a 8-3/4" rear ? -- One larger in outside diameter than the other. -- I realize that there would be different housings. -- If so, does anyone have the 2 part numbers ?

Yes. There is a outer seal that you can only replace when the axle bearings are replaced.
And the inner seal is driven into the housing and keeps the rear end lube from leaking out. The axle bearings are packed with wheel bearing grease and not lubed with the differential lube. (80/90w)

And the inner seal is driven into the housing and keeps the rear end lube from leaking out. The axle bearings are packed with wheel bearing grease and not lubed with the differential lube. (80/90w) --
-- I'm asking about the inner seal(s). -- I have Moser axles, and green bearings. The Housing ends may have been changed, because the normal inner seals were too small in diameter.

What exactly are you working with ? More info = better answers --
-- A 33 Plymouth coupe, with a 8-3/4", Mopar, rear of unknown year etc. I believe that the housing was cut, and possibly the housing ends were changed. It was built several years ago, and I bought it this way.

Axle seals are probably the stock 8.75" type (8695S - 2.69" OD)

They could be the Ford 9"/Dana 60 type (51098 - 2.5" OD)

-
Back