Question regarding proper installation of upper shock bushing and torque

-

kiyoshi

Reaction score
Been searching around and having trouble confirming two pieces of information. Quick information, I removed my shocks and noticed that it was using a two piece upper shock bushing and had the incorrect ID, in turn allowing about 1/4" of 360 degree motion in the shock mount itself. This worried me and after looking in to it, many threads i'm finding have incorrect information where someone is asking about upper SHOCK bushing and is told to use a two piece STRUT ROD bushing instead.

shock 1.png

coming straight from the 1964 fsm, and to confirm, my 1964 plymouth valiant would NOT require the lower-upper bushing in the "(Plymouth)" drawing correct? I know many people move to a different design but I do not wish to do this and have already purchased MN38100 - 1964-74 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth; Upper Shock Absorber Bushings; Pair and these seem to be the correct fit, yes?

Also and my main concern, is how to I properly torque the upper shock nut down?? I've read everywhere that it is 25ft/lbs and that's great but I feel like I am just compressing the bushing farther than it should go before i'm getting close to having any tension for torque readings on the nut. Additionally I have a little retainer nut that is not shown in the original fsm diagram. I've listed the fsm process below but I don't want to just go torquing away on the bushing until I can confirm the proper process. I've seen to compress the bushing until it reaches the width of the retainer washers but there isn't any SPECIFIC accurate measurement listed.

shock 2.png

Wanting to get everything done correctly and just wanted to double check with everyone here before proceeding

-kiyoshi

Little update on what I was working with:

MN38100 - OE style top-upper shock bushing
MD2197 - what I believe is bottom-upper shock bushing

First photo:
-top left are the two piece bushings I was trying to replace as they did not work. I had to buy a little rubber bushing to fill in the ID of the upper shock mount
-on top right is the oe style replacement upper shock bushing that I will be using
-bottom center is what I believe to be the lower-upper shock bushing listed on this thread's first photo, listed as required for PLYMOUTHS but not designed for VALIANT models.

Second photo:
-just showing a close up, you can kind of see on the inner portion of the bushing had a gouge where it was coming in contact with the hole of the upper shock mount location. I went to a hardware store to get the small rubber bushing to make up the space for the time being but it wasn't going to be a long term fix

Third photo:
-this is how I believe the "PLYMOUTH" setup should be, but not how the "VALIANT" setup should be, based on the fsm photo. It does however fit over the aftermarket shock that I'm running and wasn't sure

Fourth photo:
-this is installed using only MN38100 top upper shock bushing, tightened to equal squish both sides and squished out to the diameter of the washer, maybe just slightly less if anything. Double nut up top, top nut torqued against bottom at 25ft/lbs

Fifth photo:
-my very crude attempt at asking should the squish of ONLY the top upper bushing be enough or should I run the "PLYMOUTH" style fsm bushing setup, as poorly drawn where red is the body line that the shock mounts through

-kiyoshi

shock bushing 1.jpg

shock bushing 2.jpg

shock bushing 3.jpg

shock bushing 4.jpg

bushing 5.png

I’m stuck right now as well. Did you figure out what you needed and the sequence? My bushings were pretty dry rotted that’s why I removed them. Having a hard time even figuring out the parts needed. Any help would be appreciated! Done shocks before figured it would be the easy part.

-
Back