Question to my new installed spider/sidegear on Chrysler 8.25

-
Could use a thicker shim on spiders but its dry now (no oil on it )
Is probably fine as is if you dont have an assortment of shims.

Rene; notice that the top gear has dropped down to the point that the shaft can be seen. When torque is applied the gears are forced outward. The spherical washers of the small gears act as bearings against the differential housing. If the gears are set up too loose, it places unwanted stresses on the gear teeth.

To adjust the gears, slide equal size feeler gages above and below the axle shaft. [between the side gears and the washer]. ------ .002 to .005 is good. ------ If you can slide in say .015 feelers, remove the axle shaft, measure the existing side washer thickness and add about .012 to it [.015 minus .003 for oil clearance = .012]. And install the new thicker washer. -- Do this to both sides. Check for smooth gear action and recheck side gear clearance [.002 to .005].

I prefer them tighter. That's a Track Lock, so it's not the best anyway, but nonetheless, I like them tighter than that. Did you install new conical washer behind the side gears? It might could stand a few more shims.

I prefer them tighter. That's a Track Lock, so it's not the best anyway, but nonetheless, I like them tighter than that. Did you install new conical washer behind the side gears? It might could stand a few more shims.

#1 ------ Track lock????? It's an open differential.

#2 ------ There are NO conical washers behind the side gears.

#3 ------ Why do you think your opinion of 'tighter' is more valid than the engineers who designed and built it in the first place?

#4 ------ TMMI > Too Much Miss Information

#1 ------ Track lock????? It's an open differential.

#2 ------ There are NO conical washers behind the side gears.

#3 ------ Why do you think your opinion of 'tighter' is more valid than the engineers who designed and built it in the first place?

#4 ------ TMMI > Too Much Miss Information

1) My bad. I thought it was a track lock.

2) No, not on an open diff, but yes on a track lock.

3) How do you know the slop observed in the video is within spec?

4) Yes, see my #1 answer.

1) My bad. I thought it was a track lock.

2) No, not on an open diff, but yes on a track lock.

3) How do you know the slop observed in the video is within spec?

4) Yes, see my #1 answer.

3# I emailed Richmond Gears an ask:

Is it normal that the pinion gears not going totally tight on the shaft? it seems to be a little bit loose and wiggles on the shaft.

Answer: That is correct . There needs to be a tolerance in order for oil to get between mating components.

3# I emailed Richmond Gears an ask:

Is it normal that the pinion gears not going totally tight on the shaft? it seems to be a little bit loose and wiggles on the shaft.

Answer: That is correct . There needs to be a tolerance in order for oil to get between mating components.

Good enough. But "I" would still shim it up a little tighter. They are 100% correct though. It does need a little slop. The video seems to show excessive slop, IMO.

Good enough. But "I" would still shim it up a little tighter. They are 100% correct though. It does need a little slop. The video seems to show excessive slop, IMO.

Ok. can you please help me with a link for those shims?

Ok. can you please help me with a link for those shims?

This is the only thing I can find quickly. That's pretty strong. Damned if I would pay that. And besides, those are really not what you need. They are thrust washers for the track lock. You might have to get shims based on size if no one offers them. The problem is, the 8.250 has not been made in a while and parts kinda drop off for things like that.

It may work alright like it is, but I am seeing probably at least .100" of movement there. That's a lot. Wahy more than oil needs to get in between everything.

All that said, I am entirely open to the fact that I may be just WRONG. I got no problem with that. But I can tell you this. If I was doing a differential rebuild for someone here, it would not leave my place like that. Maybe give Cass at Dr Diff a call and let him see that video. I would accept whatever ha says as correct.

U can get a kit from Chrysler that has pin, spiders, and all the shims. U need to shim the side gears out from the case to get the spiders to where they need to be. U have way to much clearance and that is asking for major problems. Kim

-
Back