Questions about buying 1970 Barracuda (from a Camaro guy)

-

Hobbes9112

Reaction score
Hi-

My name is Brian. I am new to the boards and I have a few questions. I have a 1969 Camaro (a 71 Cuda is my dream car but will probably never be). My brother has found a 1970 Barracuda at a local car lot. He is thinking about picking it up for a frame off restoration. He has never done a restoration before, so he came to me for some advice. I don't know much about Mopar so I thought I would search the web and see what I could come up with.

I haven't been out to see the car yet, but from what he has told me it is a 1970 non-numbers matching, converted to a 440 engine and a manual transmission. I am not sure if the car originally had the 318 or the 340 engine. The car is drivable. The engine is leaking pretty badly and will need at least a gasket kit, although a rebuild could be needed. I am not sure about what options the car has as far as brakes, power steering, etc.

The interior is missing the gauge cluster, needs a new dash pad, door panels, and carpet. The seats are solid and just need to be recovered. He will probably do a custom interior.

The body is pretty rough and has lots of rust. From the sound of things it will need new fenders and quarters.

I am going to check out this car sometime in the next week. I know that most of these old cars have weaknesses and while I know what to look for when looking at a first gen Camaro, I have no idea what I should be worried about with the Barracuda. What are the problem areas?

I will try to get some pictures, a VIN, and the list of options when I go to give you all some more info. The dealership is asking $13000 for the car. I have no idea what a reasonable price for the car would be. I also want to find out what kind of expense will be involved in the restoration so I have been looking for parts vendors. What are the best vendors for reproduction parts?

I know I haven't given you much info here, but it is all I have to work with for the moment. Any advice?

Thanks!
Brian

I don't have much info for you (though there are roughly 2,028,297,057 other guys on here that will) 13,000 sounds high for the car you described. If there's a good deal of rust, the interior is rough, and the engine needs a rebuild, then that sounds more like a 7,000 deal unless there are some options we aren't yet aware of. Technically the car is an E-body since it is a post 1970 Barracuda, but I'm sure plenty of the boarders will have some tips for you.

Welcome to the board Brian.

From what you've described their asking about double what it's worth but being a stealer that doesn't surprise me. 70's aren't too bad to find parts for (unlike my 68). But if it's as rusty as you say the cost of repair and being it's a non number's matching car I'd pass at that price. To me from what you've described I wouldn't pay much over $6,000 for it.

Weakness too look for on any Mopar are torsion mounts being rusted out, upper A-frame mount rust (this is harder to fis than torsion mount rust), and rear frame rust. They make caps for torsion and frames to repair them fairly easily. Most any other weakness are standard that apply to any oter car such as floor pans, qtrs, doos, fender, etc... Oh yeah. I have seen a few K-frames (engine cradles) rust out.

In my opinion if he has $13,000 to spend there are allot more solid cars to be found that the one you've described. Look around on e-bay. I've seen allot better ones there.

LOL, nice guys real nice, I was wondering if anyone else picked up on the frame off resto wording? That sounds like way too much for what you've described so listen to the prior posts. A little tip is Mopar stuff isn't like the chevy's. Parts are much harder to find and usually cost more because of that. Autobody Specialties you can get the tcaps for the frame (unibody car) so frame doesn't detach. A few other people sell them as well, but if your going to replace 1/4's (about $200 for new skin each side) plus shipping oversize then time for fitment and cost if your not doing the work. Then fenders aren't as much but still a few hundred bones. I'm not sure if the guage cluster is a hard item to find or how much they run but legendary interiors and Year One sell the rest of the interior stuff he would need if he wanted it like the factory. And best advice I can give is go to Chryslers of Carlise PA in July to get as much as you can at the swap meet area. Is about the only big gathering with all mopar stuff. Will save you some loot in the end if you can make it. Besides you get to check out the other rides and get ideas for yours and ask questions if you can find the right people to talk to. Just my 2 cents for ya hope it helps, but I think I'd offer them $4,000 if the motor runs and if it doesn't then offer $3,000 and tell them to look for charity somewhere else if it isn't numbers matching.

Thanks to all of you that left me advice. As I said in the post, I know next to nothing about Mopar. Thanks to those of you that didn't make fun of me! :) I figured that he should run away from this car, but I just wanted to make sure. He is rather impulsive and I think that last Barrett Jackson auction might have made my brother lose his mind. =)

I did find this lost gem in a local junkyard:
Junkyard Barracuda
The drivetrain is intact but it definitely needs some TLC. I don't have the time or money to fix it up now (and I have to finish the Camaro first), but I can't bare the thought of all these old classics going to the scrap pile. There is a free spot for it in my grandpa's barn. Think it would be worth $300-500?

Hmmm, that looks like it has potential, all the chrome trim appears to at least be there and that in itself is a miracle. Where is it and how much is the current caretaker wanting for it?

-
Back