Questions about padded dash trim on darts

-

1967DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was looking at 67-69 darts online and noticed that several photos of 1968 dashes shows optional padded trim that forms a lip around the lower section of the dash. There’s also an extra piece of padded trim that surrounds the air conditioning vents below the dash. Was this option exclusive to 1968 models only,or could 67 and 69’s get it as well?

Last edited:
It wasn't an option, the lower dash pads were standard on 1968s. Darts, Barracudas, Valiants- all models and trim packages. 1968 ONLY.

It wasn't an option, the lower dash pads were standard on 1968s. Darts, Barracudas, Valiants- all models and trim packages. 1968 ONLY.
Thanks for clearing that up Professor! I really like the way it looks. I wonder why they didn’t keep that for 69-72?
By the way just watched “The Great Race” again a couple days ago. What a great cast. Peter Falk was in lots of things before his signature role as Lt. Columbo.

never seen the padded trim around the AC vents - anybody got a picture?

I have seen the AC pad years ago. Very rare to see on 68 a-body darts. I believe they were more common on the rally dash Barracudas. My neighbor Todd has one.
Here is a picture.
22904123-1968-plymouth-barracuda-thumb.jpg

I’ve got that trim on my A/C vents that I purchased from a guy in Colorado.

I’m not close to my car but will post a picture when I can.

I installed the vents in my ‘69 Dart and think the vents look unfinished without the trim.

Last edited:
I’ve seen that trim on all the 68’s with air I’ve seen so far. I wonder why they didn’t keep the lower dash trim and ac trim for the subsequent models. I think it looks nice.

Not really different than my '72. Maybe chrome or silver paint.

20221231_192803.jpg

1969 models started cost cutting measures. On cuds's the bottom pad was eliminated and the fold down back seat became optional.

-
Back