questions about small block combo

-

superbyrd

Reaction score
i have slowly but surely been gathering parts for my 84 swb step side project,and have a few questions about my projected engine combination. the rest of the truck layout will be a new venture 3500 5-speed trans and 3.55 suregrip rear. that out of the way,here goes...
i have a 73 340, already bored .030 over,.010/.010 turned stock crank and rods,i have a new set of old (box dated OCT.1986 lol) badger cast 10.3 to 1 2-valve relief pistons,new box stock edelbrock performer RPM heads,performer RPM intake, i plan to use a comp cams XE274 cam, topped with a holley 670 street avenger carb and mopar orange box ignition kit. exhaust will be handled by a set of polished stainless equal length shorty headers designed for 94-up truck/dakota/durango.
these are all parts i already have on hand,and my questions are, with these pistons sitting .028 above the deck,will i have clearances issues with the eddy heads,with this cam? will i have to notch the pistons for clearance? i will be using .039 thick fel-pro blue head gaskets. also,will my compression ratio be a wee-bit high with the eddy 70cc or so combustion chamber and these 10.3 to 1 pistons?
and lastly,what will i have to do about a flywheel? will i have to have a specific 340 flywheel or will something else work? i am going to send the entire recipicating assembly out to be balanced when i figure out a flywheel set-up.
this may be overkill for a daily-driver,street pickup,that i plan on driving to the nats (a 1000 mile round trip) and various other shows.hoping for a solid 350HP out of this combo. i have no plans of racing the truck,just driving and enjoying it.
any thoughts and advice would be great.
i have always built big-block chryslers,so this will be my first hot-rod small block build.

-
Back