Questions about timing a 318

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've never been the greatest at timing an engine. I can figure out the basics but I always seem to just kind of get it. Ok so here's what I have so far, tell me if its correct or if I have the steps in the wrong order. I know its just a simple thing but it still gets me because I haven't done it enough.

Pull the distributor and turn the crank until the line matches up at about 6 degrees BTDC, put the distributor back in and line the thing up with plug number 1, start the car and youre there. But its the part about the vaccuum that I get mixed up in. You pull the line off the distributor and the carb, and plug the carb. What idle do I set the car to? Do I do this after I've done the stuff with the crank? Thanks for any help, and any suggestions.

what i do is pull the #1 plug and put your finger over it. crank until you feel the pressure building up and then set the distributor pointing to the #1 piston. Remember the piston goes up 2 times, one to compress and another to push the air out the exhaust. I cant tell you how many times i have set it wrong but after the finger tip it has worked fine.

You should set timing once the engine is warm.

Vacuum gets disconnected from the carb, plug it at the carb. You should have around 36 degrees total mechanical advance when all said and done (vacuum disconnected). But most folks find that the small blocks like a lot of initial timing, as much as 20 degrees. This messes up the total mechanical advance (you'll have too much), so you have to dial it back by adjusting the distributor. I run 18 degrees of initial timing, with my total mechanical advance limited to 38 degrees.

ok after your sure your on number 1 and you set where you feel you want to be ( why do you remove the vac. ) its because you want your timming set with out vac. because you want timeing set at O Vac. then when you put the vac hose back on and check your timming again you will see that the vac. will advance your timming whick is ok after you have your base timming set

ok after your sure your on number 1 and you set where you feel you want to be ( why do you remove the vac. ) its because you want your timming set with out vac. because you want timeing set at O Vac. then when you put the vac hose back on and check your timming again you will see that the vac. will advance your timming whick is ok after you have your base timming set

Ohh, ok, so after you hook the vaccuum back up, thats when you adjust your idle screws? And whats a good idle to run at? I was told somewhere around 800 while in park/neutral.

Vacuum gets disconnected from the carb, plug it at the carb. You should have around 36 degrees total mechanical advance when all said and done (vacuum disconnected). But most folks find that the small blocks like a lot of initial timing, as much as 20 degrees. This messes up the total mechanical advance (you'll have too much), so you have to dial it back by adjusting the distributor. I run 18 degrees of initial timing, with my total mechanical advance limited to 38 degrees.

I appreciate any info, but you'll have to use baby steps (haha) with this because as said before, I am new to this.

Bump bumpity bump again? The only reason I'm bumping this often is because there is a cruise tonight that I'd really like to go in. Thanks!

-
Back