Questions for those who sell/have sold cars on ebay ...

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to list my Duster on ebay, and have some questions for those of you who have "been there."

1. What's the deal with titles ? I live in CT, so if someone from out of state buys it, how does it work? Do I wait until I get all the $$$, then sign and mail them the title ?

2. What about reserves? I know in the house market it's easy to over-price your home and miss out on a lot of buyers. I have a pretty good idea on what I'd accept for the car, so a reserve is a good thing, right ?

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions, but hopefully this will get a good thread started for those of us not familiar to selling on ebay ...

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated from you guys/gals here..

Thanks

Kenny

CT is Bill of sales only. You can down load a CT bill of sale off of the DMV web site. I put it right in the auction that CT doesnt require a title for cars older then 1972 and its the buyers irresponsibility to find out what they need to register the car.

Or you can get a title from the DMV but that may take awhile.

All ways use a reserve for what you feel is the minimum you would take for the car just in case.

Start the auction at $1.00 and let them bid it up from there.

Some people will start the auction at at say $5000 instead of using a reserve but I find you wont get as many bids that way.

Lots of pictures, Good description.

Definatly wait for payement then send title. Avoid using Paypal because of the fees. Cashiers' check only! Have the buyer arrange and pay for the shipping. The reserve is the least you will take and insures that amount. Auction starting price should be low because of fees. Lots of pics and good description to avoid lots of questions. Answer questions fast and post reply for others to see.

Also I have sold 3 cars using ebay. But 1 sold the day after the auction started. Some near by saw it and offered me what I wanted. He left a non refundable deposit and I pulled the auction.

The other two ended as no sale but I had offers after the auction ended. One I ended up making a trade for, The other went to Aruba. They sent half the money, I sent paper work, They sent the rest of the money and had the car picked up.

Thanks guys .. So Adam, it's cool to just end the auction if someone local wants the car ?? Should I mention that in the description? I have the clear title and just went to the DMV website for the bill of sale so I'm good there...

Thanks for the heads up on the starting price as well ... makes sense....

Any other info or problems you guys have had, I'd appreciate the knowledge...

Kenny
ps... Adam, I'm dating a girl from your area, so one of these days I wanna buy you lunch...

I all ways put in the description "I reserve the right to end the auction early"

I love a free meal !
I dated a girl whos father lived in Torrington once. To long of a drive for me, LOL

Stranger things have happened.

Wouldn't THAT be a trip ??? LOL .... Small world sometimes ...I probably know the guy you're talking about Adam !! T-town is a small town and everyone knows everyones business !! ... I hear ya on the drive... It's 51 miles from my house to hers on candlewood lake ... takes an hour with the winter car, but I've done it in 42 minutes in the srt8 ... We're definitely on for lunch once I pull her out of storage .. (the CAR, NOT the girl) :-D

I sold three cars on ebay. In each case I got a paypal deposit right away. (That way you know your not going to wait days or weeks for a deadbeat.) And then got cash for the balance when they picked the vehicles up.
I also had a guy once who claimed he was sending cash with his transporter, so I would be paid at time of pickup. Guess who never showed up, or ever got in touch again. If you keep the conditions of payment under your control, then you can make sure that you don't get ripped off. I think most buyers are legitimate, but you have to be careful to protect against the other ones.
I sold another car to a guy from out of state who wanted to write a check for the purchase. I said that's fine but I'm not releasing the car or the title until my bank says the funds are in my account. He was good with that, and the transaction went smoothly.

Lunch and a ride in the car ! Nice !

The fathers name was Gary I believe, They are actually from Bethel but he moved to Torrington some time ago. I believe he owns a Pizza place in Stamford.

Lunch and a ride in the car ! Nice !

The fathers name was Gary I believe, They are actually from Bethel but he moved to Torrington some time ago. I believe he owns a Pizza place in Stamford.

Gary ?? Ohhhh THAT narrows it down !! LOL .... You'll like the Charger, even if she's not an A body ...

AVOID "Buy It NOW"

I had an A body carcass on ebay, no motor, trans, 7.25 rear end, etc.

I had 3 auctions ended via buy it now with the same old scammer crap...
"I want to send you a cashiers check for above the amount"
"I am buying for a client"
yada yada yada.

I ended up listing in auction what the buy it now was, without the actual buy it now tag, and ending early once a legit buyer showed.

I hate scammers.

-
Back