Quick question concerning my reverse light indicator

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys so I finally bit the bullet again and bought another retro sound radio, this one is a newer model than the previous one that went out on me. got everything installed, new radio used same connectior as the old one so it was just plug and play, everything works fine except if the radio is on and you put the trans in reverse the reversed light comes on and the radio turns off but then will come back on after about 5 seconds, if i turn the ignition on while the car is in reverse i can turn the radio on while the reverse light indicator is illuminated and stays on, i pull it out of reverse, the light goes out and radio stays on, put it back in reverse and the light comes on and the radio turns off and then 5 seconds later comes back on. The power source for the radio is from a fuse block i mounted behind the left side kick panel so i know its not a power issue. But this is what im thinking, the ground for the radio is on the bottom lip of the dash near the ash tray. The reverse indicator grounds through the body to illuminate the light, is it possible that the reverse light indicator is interrupting the ground to the radio? Just for reference the reverse indicator light and the radio ground are probably only 8-10 inches away from each other. Any thoughts or comments?

I havent tried taking the reverse light indicator loose from the dash yet, i may try it tomorrow night just for my amusement. That or disconnect the ground for the radio and use a jumper wire to another ground location and see if it still does it.

Last edited:
Is the radio ground solidly bolted to the main dash frame? and not a separate piece like say, the ash tray or something? I don't see how a ground could cause this. You are thinking right IF that's the problem.......the radio is poorly grounded, maybe.

Yes ground is fastened using a star washer and sheet metal screw. just tried this, lossened the reverse light retainer and dropped the reverse light indicator down from the dash to where it was off in reverse, the radio still will **** off while putting it in reverse even with the reverse light indicator off, now its got me thinking, all this is happening with the ignition on only, meaning I haven't started the car and see if it does the same. Is it possible that the actual reverse lights on the back are causing a issue? I wont be able to start it until tomorrow night as it's pouring rain and cant open the garage. Im wondering if the turning on of the reverse lights on the back is causing the problem

Ok just did a quick test, I unplugged the reverse lights from the back and now the radio will stay on when you put it in reverse. Plugged the reverse lights back in and radio will shut off when putting it in reverse, any thoughts? To much power draw at once causing the radio to loose power for a second? I will check it with car running tomorrow noght to see if it changes. No wiring has changed from the old to new radio, honestly I haven't noticed it before, i dont think i ever have pulled the car out of reverse and put it back in reverse with the radio on until tonight

Last edited:
Fooled with it some more, took the car out of reverse so the reverse lights were out, turned car on waited for radio to turn on and then pulled out the headlight swith until just the parking lights came on along with the dash lights and radio stayed on, pulled it out one more click and the headlights came on and the radio turned off then about 5 seconds came back on. Tomorrow we will see what happens with the car running

-
Back