Quick question on trans sheild!

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok.....as some of you know I am in the middle of restoring my 72 duster.....anyhow... I am hoping someone can answer a question for me real quick.

I am putting the trans in and I need to know it there is a dust cover (metal sheild) that goes on the lower portion of the transmission bell? and I also need to know if it goes in between the starter and the tranny and acts as ashim? any help would be appreciated.....in a pinch to get to the place that has the parts real quick so the sooner I find out the answer the better! THANKS

forgot to mention its a 67 318 LA block and a 1974 904 3 speed auto in a 72 duster if that helps answer and questions

Cant believe there is 130 people online and no one has replied......](*,)

If your asking is it necessary to have the shield to drive it, no. As far as a shim, it isn't very thick so it won't hurt it to run it without it. I left mine off so it would help with cooling a little. Hope that helps.

Junkyard, or make your own. It doesn't space anything, just slides in.
But yeah, has a hole for starter snout.

what I am curious about is if the sheild doubles as a starter shim? meaning,the plate goes on and then the starter sits on top of the plate and bolts to the tranny.

I already went to the yard once today and all they had were newer 318 plates and all the holes but one lined up with my set up...and all the newer ones I looked at were like I mentioned and doubled as a starter shim which is why I was curious if it was the same for my set up.

normally I wouldnt be worried about it and I have no problem making my own, i am mostly curious if it acts as shim for the starter.

Dusterdude, you don't have to make one, I can hook you up with one. P.M. me if you'd like one and we'll get it over to you. Geof

-
Back