quick question

-

no1newb

Reaction score
i got a 65 barracuda with a 318 in it. is there any way i can get the starter off the transmission without removing the engine block or taking apart the suspension?

you should be able to remove the 2 bolts that hold it in and remove the starter....

unhook battery terminals also...

i got that done, but it cant get past the engine block, transmission, oil pan, and the swaybar

WHAT!?

it should come straight out and be abled to twist it around to avoid anything.

Are you under the car?

You sound brand spankin new to cars and/or Mopars. Take your time with it and you'll find away to do what you need to do.

yeah, im learnin, but it is impossible to get the starter off unless i take it apart under the car.

Try to tip the starter up toward the front and slide the nose down and out past the drag link.You may have to turn the steering some for clearance.

like the steering coulomb? how would i go about doing that. that would help a lot with eveything

Your kidding right...OK;

Chock wheels with wheel choks or 2X4 wood.
Take ignition key out of pocket or off hanging spot in house.

stick key in where it belongs to start the car.
twist key 1 spot foward, not 2 because that will start the car.

Move steering wheel to the right and then check for clearnace.
If this doesn't work, go back to steering wheel and turn it in the other direction until the wheel stops.
Check for clearance.

(P.S. Get a grown up for help. NOT JOKING!)

i didn't mean the wheels. i meant removing the coulomb all together. mine isn't aligned up anyways so yeah. note, i got power stearing, if that makes a diffrence, but thats not my biggest concern right now.

Now I really need to state this big because the missunderstanding going on right now may get you killed and or crushed.

Get a grown up for help. NOT JOKING!

Chyslerfat never mentioned anything about a colum
(You may have to turn the steering some for clearance.)

My instructions are to turn the wheels, in which the steering colum moves, but is not removed since that would a total waste of time.

We are adrressing the issue at hand to you and it has become painfulllly clear you have no idea what your doing and this makes this very dangerous for you.

Get a grown up/mechanic someone who has worked on cars before.

Because your going to get hurt or killed.

You can not follow instructions and you do not know the simple car parts described to you much less the basic working of what your doing.

For the love of GOD, get help and not via the internet.

Get a real live in the flesh person before you do anything else from here on out.

PLEASE!

Is there anybody that can help this kid out near Indianapolis, IN 46224

...wow. i understand turning the wheel, i just didnt know if he moving the coulomb some how, but i dont think you guys know what its getting stuck on, if removing the steering coulomb was an option (which i wouldnt know, hence why i asked) it would make things easier, and its on a jack an i got my rear wheels blocked so they wont move, and its on a driveway, which i know sucks, but i dont really have any other option right now other than taking it to a mechanic which is what im guessing im probably goin to have to do.

i got a 65 barracuda with a 318 in it. is there any way i can get the starter off the transmission without removing the engine block or taking apart the suspension?

Sorry I don't know...but I hope you don't think anyone is being mean with their comments, it's true you very well could hurt yourself and you need someone to help you out. We all had to learn sometime, and you will too.

i understand that, most of the stuff ive had help with by my dad, but he only knows basic stuff with old cars, and my grandpa helps with other things, he use to work for Pontiac and rebuilt some 50s truck about 10 or 12 years ago. i havent had anyone who has replaced a starter so im askin around here first to see if i should take it to a mechanic or if there was something im missing that could help me out.

...its on a jack an i got my rear wheels blocked so they wont move, and its on a driveway.

PLEASE for the love of ALL that is holy that you have jackstands under there as well... This is just asking for a car to fall and smash your melon. If you were closer I'd help.

as stated put the car on jack stands,,dont work on a car on a flor jack or a bumper jack,,,

if you dont have jack stands,,go to your local auto parts store,,or walmart,,buy your self a set of 2 ton jack stands,, or a pair of ramps,,even if the car wont start,,jack it up and rest the car on the ramps,,if you are a large sized guy,,, jack stands are adjustable in height,, to get the car high enough to get under it,,,

no reason to take it to a mechanic,,you have chosen to be a guy guy,,now learn to do it your self,,unless you have tons of money to throw away,,waling in to a mechanic,not knowing what your talking about , they wil take advantage of you and rob you blind,,,tons of great guys on this site that will help you out,,

you cant trun the wheels if you use ramps,jack stands let the wheels hang,making them able to turn while in the air,,

im guessing your motor mounts are old,, and sagging,making the motor sit lower,or closer to the suspension making it hard to twist the starter out from under the car,,,,

if you can turn the wheels,you should be able to twist the starter out,,if not you wil have to do one of the 2 choices,,remove the center or drop it down,,either disconnect it at the inner tie rod ends or use a puller to remove the pitman arm from the bottom of the steering box,,then there should be plenty of room,,but turning the tires will be way easier,,

Like a few have said, use jack stands,
you will have to be able to turn the wheels, so the steering linkage gets out of the way.

I suggest replace the starter with the small sized newer starter.
{1995 Dakota 318 style}

The starter in a 273 64-66 Abody is not easy to change. Even for an old fart. ;)

Ask for help, from a local Mopar fan.

http://www.partzfinder.com/Chrysler_Mopar_SB_BB_High_Torque_Mini_Starter_p/gen-17084.htm

Our Price: $80.00

Stock Status: In Stock

Availability: Usually Ships in 24 Hours
Product Code: GEN-17084 Qty:

Description Technical Specs

This High Torque, Off-set Gear Reduction Mini Starter offers a significant weight savings over an older stock starter and draws far fewer amps. It fits Mopar Slant 6, SB & BB engines (170-440). It provides 50% more torque than vintage stock starters.

Specifications:

Features

Nippondenso Off-Set Gear Reduction (OSGR) starter
1.4 kW, 12 Volt, CW, 10-Tooth Pinion
Lightweight
Compact
Gear reduction
Draws less than half the amps are

:love7:

alright, my grandpa and neigbor has jack stands, they said i can use them whenever. ill try to turn the wheel to see if that helps, ill try to take a picture if i cant get it out, also, thanks for that starter link, i was going to go to the paddocks and get an original based starter. and would this starter be the same (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...icle=true&partType=01920&parentPartType=C0330), or should i just suck up and wait for shipping.

You're getting good advise here. My '64 is a 273 with pwr steering, too. It's not easy replacing the starter. Turning the steering wheel to get more clearance for your starter definitely helps. Twisting and tilting the starter is a must to slip it out. I accessed everything from the bottom of the car. I accessed the top bolt with a REALLY LONG extension on my ratchet from the front of the engine. Nice time to get the small Nippondenso starter. C'mon, you can do it!!

OH! Yes! Pictures would help alot. Do so post them up!

Your killing me Rumble!!!!!

newb, everyone starts somewhere, just some further ahead than others, keep at it.

Just did a steering box so I know the starter can be done. Get yourself on jackstands, and chock the rear wheels, ALWAYS. Remove starter bolts and electrical connections, Ok, now put a 2X4 block of wood under your oil pan and get your floor jack under it. raise it until the wood hits the pan. Start by loosening the large 3/4 bolt that secures the driver motor mount insulator to the frame, it should be pointing down toward the front tire. REmove the nut and start to slowly jack the pan up, you just want to take the load off the rubber buscuit. You should be able to raise the motor about 1/2-1 inch and that should give you clearance to push the starter forward, turn and then get the nose down and out. Installation is the same, up forward and then back into the trans. releive the jack and bolt the insulator back to the K at about 75 ft/lbs. Do yourself a favor and get a starter from a Dakota or RAM. They are 50% smaller, more torque and far easier to get headers around. You can even get the steering box out with the motor mount removed.

It might seem simple to Rumblefish, but many of us have been amazed how hard it is to remove the starter. My 65 Dart 273 was on jackstands and I ended up taking off the brace to the tranny and the power steering gear to get it out. The later only because I was removing everything anyway to paint and rebuild. I was thinking "could I manage this on the side of the road with few tools?" I am considering a mini-starter just so I won't be stranded. Thanks to Pishta for pointing out that current Dodge truck starters fit. I'll look next time at Pick N' Pull. The starter on my former slant-six was child's play - from the top, nothing in the way. My Newport w/ 383 is tougher - from below, can't see nuts, snake past exhaust. The small-block designers really buried it.

-
Back