Quick questions

-

Dusty dodge

Reaction score
I finally have the 73 duster I grew up riding in. Been trying to get it out of my brother for years. It was a sharp car last time it drove but not so much anymore. He has his dream car now anyways (70 coronet) It should really be a parts car but its to sentimental to me. It needs a roof awfully bad. Its swiss cheese. Factory sunroof car mudded over and vinyl covered. I pulled the vinyl off and its bad, nothing left. I'm going to fill all holes with silkaflex and seal it just to save it for now. I peaked through a hole in the headliner and can see galvanized roof steel for supports haha. I have acquired a 70-72 parts car from a guy (he couldn't remember year off hand) but it has a perfect donor roof. Using this will I have to save the bows and use a soft headliner? or can I still use a later one with it? How about the metal sail panels? The 73s isn't bad but just curious on using the older metal ones instead. Thanks in advance.

You don't have to use the bows for the headliner from the earlier car, you can use the later style headliner. The metal sail panels will depend on the windows that you use. The 73+ windows use a different latching mechanism, so the earlier metal panels will have to be notched to clear them. The other thing is that if you use the metal sail panels you'll also need to use the earlier rear interior panels, because the later plastic sail panels don't go down as far in the interior, so the rear panel is taller for those. Also, the metal panels will leave a large portion of the C pillar uncovered if you use the later style headliner, it doesn't go back that far like the cloth type headliner does.

You don't have to use the bows for the headliner from the earlier car, you can use the later style headliner. The metal sail panels will depend on the windows that you use. The 73+ windows use a different latching mechanism, so the earlier metal panels will have to be notched to clear them. The other thing is that if you use the metal sail panels you'll also need to use the earlier rear interior panels, because the later plastic sail panels don't go down as far in the interior, so the rear panel is taller for those. Also, the metal panels will leave a large portion of the C pillar uncovered if you use the later style headliner, it doesn't go back that far like the cloth type headliner does.
Also out of curiosity... Im trying to get my interior back into shape, my "space demon" is a 74 so would the fold down seats interfere with the metal sail panels? I picked them up awhile ago and I would prefer the steel over the plastic anyway.

Also out of curiosity... Im trying to get my interior back into shape, my "space demon" is a 74 so would the fold down seats interfere with the metal sail panels? I picked them up awhile ago and I would prefer the steel over the plastic anyway.

It shouldn’t. I test fit a metal sail panel in my ‘74 that I converted to a fold down seat and didn’t have any issues with the fold down. You can’t run arm rests in the back, and if you use the 73+ style pop out window mechanisms you have to notch the metal sail panel to clear. Or at least I did.

It shouldn’t. I test fit a metal sail panel in my ‘74 that I converted to a fold down seat and didn’t have any issues with the fold down. You can’t run arm rests in the back, and if you use the 73+ style pop out window mechanisms you have to notch the metal sail panel to clear. Or at least I did.
Could you show me how you notched the sail panels? It would be pretty helpful since I have all the interior out now.

Could you show me how you notched the sail panels? It would be pretty helpful since I have all the interior out now.

Sure! The notched panel that fits the 73+ pop out window hardware is on the right, the stock 70-72 sail panel is on the left.

IMG_5395.jpg

There's a reinforcing piece in the corner, I drilled out the spot weld and then cut the piece down to the lip on the sail panel so the reinforcing piece came out. Then I notched the sheet metal on the panel back to fit over the window latch.

Thanks again 72bluNblu. Hopefully I can get everything done by the end of this summer.

-
Back