Quick ratio power steering i.d.

-

retsud_043

Reaction score
Hello,
Can anybody tell me the number on the tag of a quick ratio power steering gearbox? Or is there somewhere I can find out what i.d. tag #'s represent what ratios?
Thanks.

All Chrysler power boxes were 16:1 which is the same ratio as the fast ratio manual box.

All Chrysler power boxes were 16:1 which is the same ratio as the fast ratio manual box.

Thanks Jim,
but didn't the T/A challenger and some Diplomats?(cop car) have a faster ratio than the 16:1? I'm not doubting you and I am just going by what I have read in some mopar rags.

Don't know about the Dippy but the T/As got a quicker ratio by using a shorter pitman arm than stock. These are available from Firm Feel if you want to try one. Another trick to firm up the feel and get quicker response is to use a smaller diameter steering wheel.

Don't know about the Dippy but the T/As got a quicker ratio by using a shorter pitman arm than stock. These are available from Firm Feel if you want to try one. Another trick to firm up the feel and get quicker response is to use a smaller diameter steering wheel.

It's actually a longer pitman arm. By about an inch. Same length as a 70 C-body pitman.

The T/A box is a little different in that the internal stops brought in so a complete idiot couldn't burn up the box/pump by cranking the steering wheel at the end of it's travel. The longer pitman makes the wheels turn more than a stock length arm.

-
Back