Quick Time bell/ started question

-

SlantedDart

Reaction score
IMG_2769.jpeg

IMG_2768.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg
Installing a quick time bell for small block/ tkx. It’s actually gen 3 hemi but same pattern. My question is about the starter… I have Dakota high torque stater. Bottom bolt I can use stock 5/8 bolt with nut but the top is the one in question. They give you a ID spacer for starter but everything is still loose as hell.. being that’s there is no snout support what are you guys doing for top bolt. I thought about drilling and tapping for stud like how the 904 bell is and usually a jam nut to keep in place. Orrrr do I need to keep it loose for tooth alignment?? Thanks

With no snout support I’d want as little play/movement in the bolts as possible. With that said you’ll likely have to mock it up on the engine with the flywheel and check the tooth engagement.

cant remember which applications use which but that starter was used on cars with a big stud and some cars with a trans or bell that had a smaller stud
you have a big stud version of the starter like all of them seem to be these days, and the bell has a hole for the smaller stud
hence the sleeve in the kit

i don't have a small block so i can't tell which hole was for a stud originally and which had a bolt

id find a standard small stud with the shank on it and see if the sleeve fits better
if the sleeve is loose in the stater i'd be looking to make a new sleeve out of ally or brass
or put a top-hat press fit sleeve in the starter hole and ream it to the right size for your chosen stud.

if your compression is sane and the flange on the bell is robust no support should be ok
loads of brand x cars have no support. on many the supported starter comes in the heavy duty option taxi police race/rally etc

Dave

I measured last night both 7/16 in size. Top is stud, bottom is bolt. Bottom hole on new bell is okay ish.. top is not going to fly. Going to drill and tap for 1/2-20 stud in bell and lock backside with nut. Then make a ID sleeve for starter.

-
Back